All iPads Why do you have an iPad 9.7 and a 7.9?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theapplefanboyj, Sep 6, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I don't think it make sense to have both. Like having the iphone and the iPod Touch, it's quite redundant.

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Let's start with you then. Your signature line says you have both an iPod and an iPhone. So why do YOU have both?

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My mom currently has both. She uses the Air at home (bigger screen so easier to see), and the mini to take with her when she goes out (smaller size so fits in her purse).

4. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got it before the iphone.
    But still, the iphone was a hand me down, so it wasn't under my control :/

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Whatever that means.. But there you go, there's a reason someone might have both devices. Here's another: because they can.

What's it to you, anyways? Is this what keeps you up at night, thinking about these things? Jeez man...

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I have an iPad Mini that I use for work purposes and a full-sized iPad that I use at home. The full-sized iPad was a gift that I would not have bought for myself, but I'm considering upgrading it anyway. Given the choice, it's nice to have the larger screen.

However, if I had to choose one, it would be the iPad Mini. Before the Mini I would bring the iPad instead of my laptop when I went out; now I bring the Mini instead of the full-sized iPad. The larger screen is nicer, but the Mini is more versatile due to how much easier it is to bring it around.

7. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

8. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Because they can, the want to, so they do it.

Variety, change, it's a beautiful thing.

9. RickTaylor, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Read these forums. Some people really like the larger nicer screen of the iPad Air, and some people (like myself) really like the compact form factor of the mini. It's great Apple produces both models to satisfy both groups. As for myself, I didn't even see the point of a tablet until I saw the mini, perfectly sized for slipping into a suit jacket pocket, yet large enough to (at least for me) comfortably read pdfs.

P.S. Whoops, I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant it didn't make sense for Apple to have both, that is, to offer both models. You meant it didn't make sense for a consumer to have both. (I don't know why I goofed; your title was clear). I only have and need the mini, but I won't speak for others.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They have them because they can and want, simple as that.

11. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Because both of them have compromises:

The iPad Air is lighter but still not light enough. It's still a bit too heavy for prolonged use or outdoor use. However it has a big and beautiful screen with great color accuracy, which makes it a pleasure to use at home.

The iPad mini's smaller screen is not as good as the iPad Air for reading and browsing text heavy websites, and the screen has worse color accuracy. However it is very light and compact which doesn't cause muscle fatigue at all. It is perfect for outdoor use as it's compact enough to fit into most bags, e.g. the camera bag I use for traveling. Not to mention it still has a retina screen.

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

they both have their uses, why do you care what other people have.