Why do you have an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by oneapplegeek, Jun 4, 2012.

1. oneapplegeek macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

I seriously thinking buying an iPad. I already have macbook and iPhone. I never have a portability issue with my devices. But, iPad look so sleek and it looks so cool how people carry around iPad. What's your major use of iPad or what's the primary reason you are using your iPad?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Reading books
    Streaming Netflix
    Drawing apps
    PDFs for work
    Presentations
    Note taking in meetings

The list is endless

3. oneapplegeek thread starter macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

haha but, it can be done from my iPhone and labtop. I was wondering if there are any other specific reasons you would use it.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apparently you don't need an iPad then
    For me, those are very compelling reasons

Yes, they can be done on the other devices, but I prefer the iPad for some things

There is nothing specific to the iPad that can't be done on other devices in some way

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I tried to get my former employer to adopt iPads in lieu of paper-based routers and work instructions. (lean effort in manufacturing environment). IT would not budge, so I bought an iPad myself and created a proof of concept - warmly received by everyone except for IT.

After that started to use it in place of a notebook, and have since fallen in love with the display and realized what other potential this device has.

Edit: One of the biggest advantages I found using it in the workplace is sleep/wake times. For me to shut down or sleep my laptop before pulling it from the dock took 4 minutes every time. Switching locations with the iPad takes just seconds to sleep / wake and resume work.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

if you're looking for a reason to need the iPad , you're unlikely to find one. i think we all have an iPad because we love technology and the unique experience of consuming information on it.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

For me I don't need an iPad, neither do I need an Android Tablet, PS Vita but I love tech gadgets and sometimes I have more money than sense. :D

8. oneapplegeek thread starter macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

haha I get it. so my question didn't have an answer from the beginning.
    I guess the bigger screen is just helpful to navigate everything! :) Thanks everyone for sharing your use of iPad.

9. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Honestly it's almost entirely frivolous, luxury item that no one really needs. I love it.

10. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Because everyone else has one. Perfect answer IMO.

11. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

That was my first thought too when I got it as a gift. Then a medical condition struck forcing me to carry as light as possible when I'm on the move. Now the iPad is a must-have for me personally. Of course, YMMV.

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

One big reason I bought an iPad was because of the cools Apps available for it. I'm a News junkie and some of the News Apps are only available on the iPad. Even the Android version of some of those Apps are nowhere as cool or polished as on the iPad.

13. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

It's situations like this that I'm glad we are making the innovations in technology that we are. :D

14. mikeos macrumors newbie

I bought an iPad to give me something to do whilst I'm on the toilet rather than reading the back of shampoo bottles.

15. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Amen to that, good sir/ma'am. I also recall seeing how there are students with special needs who are getting plenty of productive usage out of iPads.

16. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

I think it comes down to how you prefer to consume media and interact with your tasks and options. I have an iPhone, a macbook pro, an iPad and an iMac for all different reasons.
    My laptop is there for portability when wanting to do a lot of typing or interact with multiple aspects of media and the net at once (having multiple windows and programs running at the same time), the iMac is for my photography as well as a home server, iPhone for my life :) and the iPad is used mainly for business (notes in meetings, calendar, reading, alterations to PDF's for work etc) I also love been able to surf the net or do quick emails on the iPad while watching tv or sitting out the back and not having to worry about battery life etc.
    I offered my wife an iPad but she chose a macbook air and prefers that for everything. Everyone is different but i love my iPad at the end of the day and will not part with it.
    hope that helps give some insight for your decision.

17. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Since buying an iPad, I spend ~85-90% of my total computing time on it. Does this mean I can give up my laptop? Nope. Does this mean I can give up my iPhone? Nope. Is there anything the iPad can do that the others cant do? I'm not sure, but I dont think so. Does it do somethings better than both? Absolutely.

This means it is an amazing, fun, convenient, but completely luxury device.

18. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

It's not really that the iPad does anything that an smartphone/laptop can't do. It's just more enjoyable for everyday tasks, at least for me. I prefer browsing the Internet, writing emails, watching YouTube videos, and playing games on the iPad to my ismartphone/laptop. If I need to write more than a paragraph or need to transfer files I use my laptop. Then my Nexus is for on the go.

While I would agree the an iPad + smartphone + laptop is excessive I find that each device has a unique use for me and I wouldn't want to get rid of any of the devices.

19. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Reading books & magazines
    Netflix, Hulu & Xfinity
    Sketching/illustration
    General Internet use (web, etc)
    I'm too fn lazy to reach down & boot up my laptop while I'm on the couch

20. DrKockter macrumors member

my macbook turns on in 5 seconds and shuts down in 2 , u must have a really crappy computr that takes 4mins LOL

21. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

22. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

Sign language ministries
    Everything else I can so I don't have to use my darn windows pc in the other room

23. snchpnz macrumors member

Because I don't like laptops and it is more comfortable to use in bed than my iPhone.

24. rahul247rocks macrumors member

rahul247rocks

I bought my iPad cause I wanted to experience this device. I use it for reading book, surfing the web on the retina display, watching YouTube Videos, Playing Great Games and also for my mails, analytics and the list goes on and on....I even used it to take notes for my examination and later used the device in the exam hall toilet..LOL!

25. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Because work bought it for me. I seriously wouldn't have one otherwise, I have an Android tablet that I MUCH prefer for personal use. Work asks that I provide support for iOS devices so they got me one. Even after a little over a month, I would still MUCH prefer my personal tablet for my personal use but as a business device I can see (and make use of) the benefits of the iPad.

Yes, the iPad is nice but I'm still an Android guy, there are a few things I like better about that OS.