All iPads Why do you have an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MisterBigMack, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MisterBigMack macrumors member

Not meant to be sounding a stupid question but why do you have an iPad?

I've had an iPhone for couple years and had an iMac for a couple years as well, now i've always wanted an iPad, but I have always thought, why do I need one? I have my mobile device with me all the time with my iPhone

I know people who haven't bought a desktop or don't want to shell out a grand for one and want a source of internet, social etc will pay the money for an iPad but for everyone else like me probably who keeps updated with everything apple and / or the tech industry, who aren't just "general browsers" - why do you have one?

I have recently become a father and thought an iPad would eventually be good, for apps, and space as well in the living room.

Was planning on the last couple months to sell my iMac and the money I get for it, purchase the 32g or 64g, one of the new iPads.

Couple things enter my mind, are the experiences as good? the only time I sit down on my iMac really, is browsing, seeing the latest news, apple news, video game news, sports etc (to be fair everything I do I can do on my iPhone) - I don't seem to get HD video on my iPhone? e.g.: on YouTube, there is an option for HD viewing on some videos on the desktop and cannot get that on my mobile, why is that?

And also flash as well, plenty of videos I try to watch on my iPhone, e.g. tried to watch an NFL video last night on my phone and would simple not load due to flash...what could i do?

Do I need an iPad? would i benefit in getting rid of my desktop for one? do many people have just an iPad and no desktop in there life?

hope to here some help! cheers :)

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

To be honest, I really only use my iPad for my college textbooks.

I've found that, for me personally, the lack of a physical keyboard and mouse makes even browsing the web not as pleasant as it is on a full computer. But I still use it for those things, I just mainly use it for reading and watching netflix.

You can get an external keyboard for typing and such, but I find the lack of mouse when creating documents to be a little tedious, as any formatting is buried within menus usually.

3. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

An iPad is merely complimentary to the other devices you have.

For more intense computer related work, you'll still need the iMac. For ultra-portabilityand obvious phone use, you still have the iPhone.

An iPad really works in that space between. In my house, it's the quick go-to device that is shared throughout the house. We use it for sofa surfing, reading, and quick thoughts regularly.

4. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I can't always bring my MacBook Air with me everywhere, in these times/places, my iPad Mini does the job.

It's also nice to use when you're lying down on the bed, it also does the job nicely as an e-reader.

5. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Personally i love my iPad, i use it for many things, watching Netflix, Films etc on the move, taking quick minutes in meetings, quick surfing if something interests me, rest room game breaks ;) remote access if father-in-law's imac isnt behaving, keeping track of payments that my scouts have given me, presentations to colleagues etc, showing holiday snaps to friends either on the pad or via airplay to an apple TV.

So there are a few uses i have for my ipad, there are many more, and that's what i like about the ipad, yes it doesn't have a 'file system' like what some others do, but it is an awesome bit of kit!!

I think you'll like it as you have an imac you'll get the portability aspect more - I have a macbook pro that i use as my proper computer but for quick easy tasks the ipad works just as well if not better than the macbook

Oh and i would consider keeping the imac, it will compliment the ipad, maybe in a few years there will be no need for anything else, but for now, it's preferable

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

YouTube with flash through Plex on an iPad works great .

7. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

same I use it on trips (losing a $330 mini isn't as big deal then losing my Air $1200). Or to class. At home I always use the air.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I just luxury imo. I would never give up my mac for an ipad if I had to choose one. I got an ipad because it's a nice to have but not a necessity to own for me.

9. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

The iPad is a nice compliment to the apple line up. When searching the internet, Facebook, checking email, I use the iPad - easy access. All other tasks, I reach for my macbook pro. Travelling, I tote the iPad only.

10. iCole macrumors regular

It's luxury for sure but it's a fun device to use. I use it for some gaming, chatting, emailing, lots of youtube, browsing, ... without having to be at the desk in front of my iMac. I can do most of those things on my iPhone but the screen is too small and the experience isn't that great. I can do most of those things on my iMac but it's nice to sit in the couch and be away from the desk. And touchscreen games are pretty fun. It's an ideal in between device. I always look at it as an interactive book. I just wish it was just a little bit more computerlike.

11. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

I got my mini to:
    1) I read books while traveling on the subway
    2) surf the web because no way im bringing my mbp everywhere i go hah

I think selling your desktop for an ipad is abit extreme in my opinion..
    As for flash, you can always download puffin browser.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

While at home I use it to surf the web, read books, keep up with news & sports and play games. When traveling I use it to watch movies on the plane.

Is it a necessity? Nope, but its definitely nice to have!

13. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

Not for me. I use my iPad for everything. Last October I tried an experiment to see if I could ditch my laptop...and I did. You'll find a ton of people on these boards saying the iPad is for consumption and not production...or it's a companion for other devices. Luckily my profession works well on an ipad. (Unlike my wife, a CPA, could NEVER do her work on an ipad)

So what am I getting at? The ipad is not all thing to all people. YMMV on your iPad use compared to others. I'm looking forward to the day when I have no Macs in the house and just have my iPad. (This coming from a guy who has used only macs since 1988)

My suggestion to you is keep the iMac and save for the iPad. You might find, like others here, it doesn't fit your lifestyle. It might take you a little longer to get that iPad but you'll be better off in the long run.

14. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Good question!

For a long time I resisted to buy an iPad. In the interim, I bought two Android tablets (Acer A500 and the one I currently use - the Nexus 10).

My interest in tablets is for three basic reasons - (1) to have easy access to the internet (phone is an alternative, but I don't like small screens); (2) and, more importantly, to read books (primarily PDFs), which I require for my work. (3) A third reason - to watch films etc.

While the Android tabs worked well to satisfy reasons 1 and 3, I constantly struggled with the second reason, which happens to be the most important reason. And I struggled because of the aspect ratio. The situation became intolerable because my reading kept piling up. Eventually, I bought the iPad 4 recently. It is perhaps one of the most perfect devices for reading (at least for me). As for the two other duties - surfing and watching films etc. - I still prefer the Nexus 10 (and the Surface RT, which I also have).

I should also add that I have a full-fledged Windows desktop machine (dual monitor set up).

As an aside: Recently, I found myself doing some writing work on the Surface and I had my iPad open propped up on one of those tripod things to make it stand upright (portrait orientation) which I was using as an electronic reference device. I had my stylus on the table with which I was highlighting text on the iPad and there was no paper or pencil/ pen in sight!!!!!

15. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the responses, to be honest i posted a thread in here a couple months ago saying all i really used it for was for browsing, my music (which I can solve using iTunes match) and general social really, for everything my mac does - or can do, i don't necessary use it to its potential - its just the experience of sitting down in front of my iMac, browsing, wasting time really!

and just feel could i be doing this sitting on my sofa, rather than on a chair in front of my screen...could just having an iPad be a better experience?

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

I bought an iPad for reading books; my eyesight is not what it once was and it's hard to get lots of books in large print format.

The ipad also lets me get mail when I travel.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Back in February I bought a Nexus 7 thinking it would be a good iPad replacement since the display was better with more pixels and it would be my second Android having bought a Nexus 4 a few days earlier.

I started noticing that a lot of the apps that I liked on the Nexus 7 had no actual tablet versions and that made me start looking for pictures of those same apps on the iPad, What a difference there was in many of them.

It took me months to decide but finally decided on an iPad Mini. I have not regretted that decision one bit. I use it much more than my Nexus 7 and if I had only bought the Mini first back in February, I never would have bough the Nexus 7.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Mainly for watching videos but I also use it for web browsing, checking emails and playing games.

19. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I own an iPad. I do just about everything with it; play games, watch tv shows, browse the web/social media, and also use it for school. I absolutely love it!

I introduced my mom to the iPad when the iPad 4 was announced (I passed down my iPad 3). She owned a desktop previously but since getting the iPad she uses it everyday. From browsing the web, checking emails, to playing Candy Crush...and the desktop just sits collecting dust. She would give up a computer any day for a laptop (the iPad is easily more convenient for her).

20. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I was in the same boat until I actually got an iPad. I had zero need for one as I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. Since getting the iPad it's become my most used device next to my iPhone. iPhone for when I'm on the go, iPad for when I want iOS but around the house (also great for netflix/lazing in bed), and MacBook Pro for actual work that I need to do.

Since iMessage and nearly all of the iOS games I play work seamlessly between my iPhone and iPad, I barely use my iPhone at all while at home.

For yourself, I would definitely recommend an iPad. Would be great for the kids and makes a fantastic companion device for around the house. I'd still keep the iMac for other stuff though, you never know when you'll need a computer.

21. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

Having an iPad lets you waste time more productively! ;)

You can rock a baby to sleep while you post on FB. You can watch TV and play Candy Crush.

Seriously though, I FEEL like I'm online less with my ipad. With my desktop I wanted to make that time count and so I would sit for a large block of time and get everything done. With my iPad and break it up into smaller chunks.

The best thing my iPad has done has been to teach my daughters the 50 states and capitals along with multiplication and spelling. Education apps have been awesome and has really encouraged my kids to learn.

22. BerlingerT macrumors member

BerlingerT

I initially bought my iPad Mini for work. I needed something small to take notes on and later make a database for calls and references at work. A laptop would have been too big, so I got an iPad Mini with the Logitech Ultrathin Mini Keyboard. I thought of an iPad because my mother used an iPad 2 and I thought I would get something with the same OS so we could help each other learn new things and whatnot.

Afterwards, though, I ended up using it for a lot more. I downloaded Kindle and started using it as an e-reader, and then it led to downloading and playing games like Final Fantasy, Knights of the Old Republic, and Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch.

In the end, I now use it for pretty much everything that I don't absolutely require my laptop for. Emails, database, balancing my checkbook, freelance writing, etc. The only thing that may change that is how nice the Acer Iconia W4 turns out.

That is why I have one

23. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I use my ipad for everything. I got rid of my MacBook! Essay writing, sermon research, presentations, reading, games the lot. I have no need for a lap top I can't think of one thing it does more conveniently.

24. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

I have an iPhone and iMac. The iPad fits nicely in the middle.

Many people like the big screens on their phones these days, but I prefer having a sleek and slim phone that I only use when I am on the go, and then the iPad is used when i'm home and I have that nice large screen.

I like having my photo stream, iMessage conversations, books/magazines, and my notes automatically shared between my iPhone and ipad. And I like the universal games, and paying for a game once, but having it for both my phone and tablet. And iCloud enabled games like Vice City are nice to have. I like progressing through the game on my iPad, and then continuing where I left off on my iPhone when I leave my home. Same thing with Garage Band projects.

Lying in bed while watching a movie on Netflix on the iPad is a nice way to end a night too.

25. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

For me it's a work and school requirement. I don't even use it much for personal entertainment, I have a phone and laptop for that.