iPhone X Why do you have to hold down windows in Safari in order to close them?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
You used to be able to just swipe up to get rid of them, why did they change this?

Really stupid and inefficient. It usually requires at least two hard presses to get it to go into delete mode, totally slows down the work flow.

justinrcook

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
To close tabs in safari, press the two squares on the bottom right of safari. Then either swipe left or hit the x on the top left of each page. Alternatively if you long press on the two squares on the bottom right of safari you can opt to close all tabs.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
To close tabs in safari, press the two squares on the bottom right of safari. Then either swipe left or hit the x on the top left of each page. Alternatively if you long press on the two squares on the bottom right of safari you can opt to close all tabs.
Hmm, still awkward and much harder to do than simply swipe up, as you have to readjust your grip or the phone to hit that bottom right corner with your thumb. Not intuitive at all.

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
You used to be able to just swipe up to get rid of them, why did they change this?
Now you just swipe left.. still a single swipe.

That doesn’t answer my question, I’m aware of this option which is incidentally even more difficult to do, I can’t only imagine if you had to reach the top left corner of the plus.
Then you swipe down where the dock would normally be and engage Reachability - the entire screen moves down so you can reach the "X" in the top left. Have you tried engaging Reachability?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Now you just swipe left.. still a single swipe.

Then you swipe down where the dock would normally be and engage Reachability - the entire screen moves down so you can reach the "X" in the top left. Have you tried engaging Reachability?
Still just as inconvenient

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Ok, it's inconvenient.. I can understand and acknowledge that. Now that you have a workaround, how much more complaining is required to completely remove the inconvenience? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just asking a question to get you to think. Isn't it best to use the workaround and move on?
But it’s not a workaround, I just said it was even more difficult and required readjusting your entire grip to reach the bottom right corner, let alone engaging reachability to do something as simple as closing a tab which in previous iOS editions was as simple as swiping up. I’m not just trying to bitch, these are all legitimate issues which I’m baffled a company like Apple has deliberately created.

I’m not just going to keep complaining but I expected way more people to chime in and agree and that would’ve at least given me some relief that I’m not the only one who noticed this.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
However inconvenient it is, you know Apple will change nothing unless they happen to want to change how the tab is closed.
btw, on iPad, you either press that tiny X or swipe left after pressing double square button. inconvenient as well.
admit it. People nowadays are creating more artificial problems than they find actual Problems.

Reactions: I7guy and TH55

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
But it’s not a workaround, I just said it was even more difficult and required readjusting your entire grip to reach the bottom right corner, let alone engaging reachability to do something as simple as closing a tab which in previous iOS editions was as simple as swiping up. I’m not just trying to bitch, these are all legitimate issues which I’m baffled a company like Apple has deliberately created.

I’m not just going to keep complaining but I expected way more people to chime in and agree and that would’ve at least given me some relief that I’m not the only one who noticed this.
Ok, so get into the system and change the software. Oh, you can't? So maybe it's a good idea to change your habits?

1. staying there dwelling on the issue serves only to rob you of your time and sanity

2. finding a different way to accomplish the task and moving on will allow you to move forward

Which wolf do you want to feed? Because.. the wolf you feed will be the one that wins the fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: TH55 and millerj123

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
On iPad 13.3 I find a secondary safari window (not tab) next to impossible to close without merging first.

Thankfully I haven’t upgraded iPhone iOS yet. Still on 12.

Reactions: TH55

Lekro

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2019
Budapest, Hungary
I don’t understand this “just swipe up to close” regarding safari tabs. It was always tap tabs icon then swipe left or right or tap X as far as I can remember.

In which iOS version you could swipe up on the current foreground tab and just close it? Am I missing something?
- - Post merged: - -

Also what do you mean two hard presses? I can tap the tabs icon and close the tabs. No need to hold down anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.