Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Back in the days jail break was part of the "cool" culture & also kind of a necessity because of a lot of the features that iOS was lacking but having moved forward so many years and Apple bringing a lot of the much requested and needed features within the OS itself, I was wondering why people still jail break. What do you guys actually do with a jail broken phone?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Reasons I've jailbroken in the past:

- A firewall app, which prevents apps from talking to places I don't want them to, and also acts as a pseudo-adblocker anywhere, not just Safari

- A music player mini-mode floating window

- An actual dark mode extension, or if you don't want to buy that, a dark keyboard extension

- An extension that adds a quick-switch area in the notifications pull-down window, so I can switch things like wifi, airplane mode, even the LED light on and off without having to boot into the Settings app

- The obligatory customizing reason; I've hidden the dock on my tiny iPhone 4, hidden icon name labels, changed a few of the app icons, and probably other things I can't remember that I'm too used to

- An extension that "fullscreens" folders, instead of having a cramped app-shaped "folder"

- f.lux is only available on jailbroken devices

Reactions: skinned66

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Reasons I've jailbroken in the past:

- A firewall app, which prevents apps from talking to places I don't want them to, and also acts as a pseudo-adblocker anywhere, not just Safari

- A music player mini-mode floating window

- An actual dark mode extension, or if you don't want to buy that, a dark keyboard extension

- An extension that adds a quick-switch area in the notifications pull-down window, so I can switch things like wifi, airplane mode, even the LED light on and off without having to boot into the Settings app

- The obligatory customizing reason; I've hidden the dock on my tiny iPhone 4, hidden icon name labels, changed a few of the app icons, and probably other things I can't remember that I'm too used to

- An extension that "fullscreens" folders, instead of having a cramped app-shaped "folder"

- f.lux is only available on jailbroken devices
Same question to you. Would you still jail break given night mode is available within iOS now?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Back in the days jail break was part of the "cool" culture & also kind of a necessity because of a lot of the features that iOS was lacking but having moved forward so many years and Apple bringing a lot of the much requested and needed features within the OS itself, I was wondering why people still jail break. What do you guys actually do with a jail broken phone?
There are still things Apple will not let you do and jailbreak tweaks that Apple co-opts as features that are poorly done in comparison to the actual jailbreak tweak.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
There are still things Apple will not let you do and jailbreak tweaks that Apple co-opts as features that are poorly done in comparison to the actual jailbreak tweak.
Example of such a jail break feature?!

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Same question to you. Would you still jail break give night mode is available within iOS now?
When it comes to Apple adopting features and relabeling them, like Night Mode, they're not nearly enough incentive for me to upgrade (I had those features on an older OS in the first place, and sometimes Apple doesn't even adopt them completely properly) but they'd at least soften the blow if I happen to upgrade in the future. Which will probably be completely for hardware reasons, and newer hardware will never run older versions of the OS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Example of such a jail break feature?!
Callbar. Make phone calls directly from the lockscreen and inside any app. You can't do that stock.

BiteSMS in comparison to QuickReply.

Activator. Ability to create a shortcut using a variety of hardware options to do almost anything.

iBlacklist. True call blocking.

Those are just a few.

Reactions: akash.nu

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Are these tweaks really that important that you can't live without them?

Absolutely...and it's is not about living without them, it's about enhancing the iOS experience.

An example is Apex 2. Much cleaner to swipe on an icon instead of making a folder.

image.png

image.png

Maybe Apple will fold that in a future iOS and then again, maybe not. Just one example...

I am enjoying my JB phone immensely.

It's 2016 and Apple still doesn't let you put more than 4 icons on a row...it's insane that they want to lock that down.

Go ahead and tell me how stock iOS is better. It isn't.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
No, but it's not included on my plans.

Is the whole purpose of this thread just to convince people not to jailbreak?
Not really, I was just wondering why people give up security even after so many years. It's a genuine question.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Absolutely...and it's is not about living without them, it's about enhancing the iOS experience.

An example is Apex 2. Much cleaner to swipe on an icon instead of making a folder.

View attachment 636433

View attachment 636434

Maybe Apple will fold that in a future iOS and then again, maybe not. Just one example...

I am enjoying my JB phone immensely.

It's 2016 and Apple still doesn't let you put more than 4 icons on a row...it's insane that they want to lock that down.

Go ahead and tell me how stock iOS is better. It isn't.
I don't want to convince anyone. Just curious what's going on with jail break these days. I haven't done it for a good few years now.

Reactions: tjleonard

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not really, I was just wondering why people give up security even after so many years. It's a genuine question.
Are they really giving up security (not that that aspect of it was even brought up in the OP or at any point earlier in the thread)?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Jailbreaking makes you no more or less secure than stock. Yes, jailbreaking uses exploits to jailbreak your phone. But those exploits are not open avenues of attack for hackers.

Jailbreaking gets a bad rap for security because a lot of people out there do dumb things after jailbreaking by their own choice that jeopardizes their security. Their complaints when that happens are what gets noticed - not the fact that they violated their own security. And then people who aren't jailbroken assume that jailbreaking means you are less secure - which isn't the case.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Jailbreaking makes you no more or less secure than stock. Yes, jailbreaking uses exploits to jailbreak your phone. But those exploits are not open avenues of attack for hackers.

Jailbreaking gets a bad rap for security because a lot of people out there do dumb things after jailbreaking by their own choice that jeopardizes their security. Their complaints when that happens is what gets noticed - not the fact that they violated their own security. And then people who aren't jailbroken assume that jailbreaking means you are less secure - which isn't the case.

Agreed. If anything, the mere fact that those same exploits get reported to Apple - most of them by those who created the exploit - get fixed by Apple, so that it makes an even more secure and robust OS when the next release rolls out.

That's the true version of ethical hacking: find an exploit, develop the proof of concept that exploits the hole, report that to the vendor, get them to patch it, then release that, so everyone knows about it. The more that know about it, the less chance of that being used unethically.

BL.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Yes I agree with both of you. Security is something people knowingly give up. Just saying if it's enough for people to take that risk, without knowing what they're doing.

Reactions: skinned66

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yes I agree with both of you. Security is something people knowingly give up. Just saying if it's enough for people to take that risk, without knowing what they're doing.

Are they really giving up that security? The hole in the OS is still there, whether jailbroken or not. Security by obscurity truly isn't secure, as the underlying hole still remains, regardless of if the user knows about it or not.

BL.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Are they really giving up that security? The hole in the OS is still there, whether jailbroken or not. Security by obscurity truly isn't secure, as the underlying hole still remains, regardless of if the user knows about it or not.

BL.
Yes but with the hole you're mentioning, it's not easy to hack a system unless you specifically grant root access.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yes but with the hole you're mentioning, it's not easy to hack a system unless you specifically grant root access.

Not necessarily. The jailbreak is run by an unprivileged user that uses the exploit to gain elevated privileges. Therein lies the lapse of security; not in the end result (getting root access), but the process (exploiting the hole as the unprivileged user to get root access). That's the underlying hole and flaw.

BL.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Not necessarily. The jailbreak is run by an unprivileged user that uses the exploit to gain elevated privileges. Therein lies the lapse of security; not in the end result (getting root access), but the process (exploiting the hole as the unprivileged user to get root access). That's the underlying hole and flaw.

BL.
Don't agree with that. Mostly all the jail breaks in recent years required explicit user consent to run the scripts to exploit the hole and grant root access.

Without that initial user consent, it's actually difficult to do anything on the OS. That's one of the reasons why FBI had to go through all the hoops to get access to that iPhone. Remember the whole terrorist iPhone debacle?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Don't agree with that. Mostly all the jail breaks in recent years required explicit user consent to run the scripts to exploit the hole and grant root access.

Without that initial user consent, it's actually difficult to do anything on the OS. That's one of the reasons why FBI had to go through all the hoops to get access to that iPhone. Remember the whole terrorist iPhone debacle?

Once again, the granting of root access is the result of exploiting the hole, not giving consent to run the scripts to exploit the hole. The scripts run as the unprivileged user, and in using the exploit, gets the root access. So you're actually giving consent to running the scripts as an unprivileged user.

I get what you're saying, but instead of it being one huge step, it's two small steps that make up the one whole step.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.