Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcjh22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
What made you fall in love with Macs? What differentiates them from other computers that makes you keep buying them?

What I first noticed was how beautiful the products were.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Apple puts a lot of effort into places that other manufactures ignore entirely - the rigidity of the aluminum case on a MBP, the fact the long life battery doesnt make your laptop look like a hunchback. You can just tell how much work went into developing the trackpad and the keyboard just by using them, they are a pleasure to use.

As a package, my macbook pros are leaps and bounds above any other laptops ive ever used. I am aware that better specc'd laptops are available for cheaper, but it's not just about specs. They are sufficiently fast to do the work I need them to do. Im ok with paying extra for things that dont give you immediate performance (better CPUs, etc) but will prove to pay off a lot more in the long term (durability of finish, no creaking, no cheap keyboard).

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I love all of my Macs. They simply just work. Windows is bloated and boring, Linux is powerful but not user friendly and Chrome OS is just a side project for Google. Mac OS X is the perfect combination of power and user experience. Some might think Macs are only for creatives but more and more businesses are using Macs. Open source software alone saves you a ton of money wheras on a PC you have to buy anti-virus software, defragmenters and other useless utilities.

Once you go Mac...

rcjh22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I was just trying to start a thread to see everyone elses point of view of why they choose Macs over others. I didn't know saying love would be taken so wrong. My bad.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I like the operating system, but the choices that Steve Jobs and co make on hardware are hit or miss in my book.

Let me elaborate for a moment: I'm a big fan of the "cousin of a BSD" operating system; Running apps in X11, having terminal windows open, and running *n?x server apps is awesome - not to mention developing in a *n?x environment.

As for hardware, I could talk about how the MBP is still out of my budget, but that's irrelevant - unfortunately, I just couldn't compromise with a 13" laptop at the time I bought my 16" Sony "********" series.

That aside, I dislike the gigantic bezels and shiny glass screen covers. If Apple launched a 15" with a 1920x1200 IPS screen I'd go ape-@#%* and buy that laptop in an instant. Budget be damned!

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I grew up with a Mac, my family never owned a PC. So I have been using Macs all my life and see no need to try out a Windows.

Yes I do have experience with Windows and sure it is ok, but I'm glad I grew up with Apple.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
+1 for the trackpads. That alone is worth the $500 "premium" if you can afford it. :D

I grew up using.. nothing. My family's first computer was a junk'd 286 when I was 9.

applepearpp

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
so i was reinstalling windows 7 the other day and it was a complete frustration. I am a student and got Win 7 Pro on a discount for 30 or 50 bucks. my computer was running XP at that time (Vista sucks, btw), so i put the DVD in and did a custom installation and wiped out the disk. When it was done, it prompted me to enter a CD-key. When i entered mine, it was rejected. Took me a while to realize my code is an "upgrade" code and not a "complete" code. I had to roll back to XP, upgrade to 64bit vista (yes, that's another lession. 32bit vista can't go straight to 64bit Win 7), then upgrade to 64bit win 7. took me almost a full day to get that thing to work and reinstall all the necessity.

when i installed Mac OS X on my hackintosh, it installed like a charm. took me less than an hour before it was fully operational.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I like Macs, because of OS X. Their design, I could do without. A computer that looks cool is nice, but if it doesn't work correctly, it's useless. OS X is easy to use, easy on the eyes and very functional. Do have to admit, I like the design of the G3 and G4 Macs a lot, and they're still usable for a while for my small needs. You could say I "love" those Macs. ;)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It works well - and is well built. My Mac Pro - it's very solidly built and thoughtfully designed. It's a lot easier to upgrade than a PC too. And it is really, really fast.

Mac OS X is a lovely operating system too. Fast to start and fast running.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I like that my Mac just works. I spent too much time on my old Windows machine getting it ready to work that actually using it for what I wanted to do with it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What made you fall in love with Macs?
I love my wife, I love my children, I do not love my computer.

Its a tool to allow me to get my work done. I choose Macs not because of an emotional tie to apple, Jobs or the computer but because its a great computer and easily fits my needs. If or when that ceases, I'll look for another solution. Windows 7 isn't bad and if apple decided to change direction with OSX (say locking it down like iOS), then I'd switch over to windows.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

The thing that set me onto macs is

Stability
No viruses
Long battery life in a sleek package
No preinstalled bloatware
High resale value hardware
Operating system feels fast
by far the best trackpad in the industry (and the most powerful with better touch tool). No other laptop even comes within a million miles of Apples trackpad imo. Also whoever thought to put PC trackpads off center is an idiot imo

Sibilance7

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
Oh, the Apple trackpad! When my PowerBook G4 died, I was angry that it didn't last longer (died just outside of 3 years), so I thought I'd try an MSI Wind hackintosh - I'd still get to use my beloved OSX, but no money would go to Apple. It was kind of fun to set up, but ugh, the trackpad on that thing sucked! I made me so crazy that when my wireless card stopped working randomly, I used it as an excuse to buy a new computer and gave the hackintosh to my husband. Still mad at Apple, I got an HP. It was a cute little computer, but still, the trackpad nearly sent me over the edge on a daily basis. It at least had scroll zones, unlike the hackintosh Wind, but I so missed my two-finger scrolling. So when the screen went a little wonky, the HP went to my husband, the hackintosh to my mother, and now I have a MBP 13". I will never go back. Everything about the MBP just completely fails to frustrate me on a daily basis, unlike the hardware from MSI or HP, and Windows 7 OS I had on the HP. It could just be because I've done most of my computing on Macs (although I grew up on Windows), but I'm just a Mac girl at heart and I can't change it no matter how hard I try.

Umm, that was a little long-winded. I think love is clearly the right word to use for me!

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
Trackpad, OS X, screen, battery life

Trackpad - can't really add much to whats already been said above. Beats the trackpad on any other laptop hands down.

OS X - just works. This is why Apple can get away with not having top of the line specs on every machine they put out. OS X makes my 13" MBP faster than my wife's windows i3 Dell on day to day tasks.

Screen - compare screens to any other machine out there and you can see one of the reasons that apple charges more for their laptops. I can use my MBP for hours with no eye fatigue.

Battery life - I charge my MBP once a day. My wife pretty much has to keep her Dell plugged in all day.

Blu101

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
What made you fall in love with Macs? What differentiates them from other computers that makes you keep buying them?

Mac OS X did it for me, along with build quality, aesthetics, materials of construction, battery life, iLife + iTunes, thin profile, low weight, durability, reliability (especially with OS X), quality of screen (view angles rock), trackpad, the lack of a MS Windows like user frustration (and viruses), the soon to come app store and a million other little reasons that I can't think of right now.

Overall, it's the best computer I have ever owned.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It's very, very fast. It looks absolutely incredible. It's so clean and stylish. It's so easy to use, and all of its functions are just so damn smart. It's just such a joy and such a breeze to use, I have no desire to use anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.