Why do you need 4GB in your iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mhnajjar, Jun 4, 2008.

1. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I am trying to convince myself to get 4GB of ram but I am not finding any use for that :confused: Please give me other reasons beside being cool and Parallels/VMware Fusion because that is not enough for me :p

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Depends on what you do on your computer. Most likely you will not need more than 2GB. But if you do plan to use VMWare/Parallels and keep tons of apps open, work with large RAW image files, then the extra RAM could come in handy.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

IF your doing a lot of audio, video, and photo editing, or if you are playing resource intensive games under boot camp. Or if you are running vista, but if you plan on running vista, you should go get a mac pro and put in 32GB of ram:D

5. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

As I said, I do not need the 4GB, because I use my iMac mostly for regular daily uses and school work. (Safari/MS Office 08/Games under Vista/iTunes/Real player/etc.) nothing memory hungry besides Vista but yet 2GB are enough for Vista HP. I am just planning to get a new 24" iMac 3.06 this weekend and I thought of getting it 4GB. I am even thinking of getting 750GB HDD even though 500GB is more than enough for me since I already have a laptop and a Time Capsule so my data is kind of scattered :rolleyes:

6. JSF macrumors member

JSF

If this all you do 4GB would be a waste of money. Why are you even asking if you already know 2GB is enough to meet your needs?

7. Mollemand macrumors regular

I went for the 2Gig standard because I think the upgrade is way too expensive. I'll evaluate my needs as I go along, and buy a 3rd party 4GB kit when needed.

Chances are that it will be less than the 2->4GB Mac option. And I will have 2 x 1GB of perfectly good RAM collecting dust somewhere afterwards.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy the iMac stock and then, if you feel that it is sluggish because of low memory (lots of disk swapping), buy the 4GB aftermarket (currently $75-$100).

9. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

Doesn't gaming under Vista like he said need more than 2GB?

10. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

As good as OS X is at memory management, as the new versions release they will need more and more. Plus all the applications will see some "RAM creep" over the years. With RAM so dirt cheap now - 4GB of top-grade stuff is under $100 - why not max it out now, safe in the knowledge that years from now you'll be glad you did?

11. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Yeah I am interesting to know more about this!

12. mike81 macrumors newbie

mike81

My thoughts exactly when I went to 4gb. It was not an absolute necessity for me, but in the future when I do need it I will be happy I did it. If you got the cash, buy it. If not put $10 aside a week till you can.

The way prices fluctuate nowadays it could be 3xs as much this time next year.

13. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

is that really likely? or wouldn't ram continue to become much cheaper?

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I have 4GB on my MacBook - Photoshop, Illustrator, all that stuff launches nigh on instantly (on their second launch of course) but man it's amazing to see the light go on under the icon as it reaches the top of it's first (and only) bounce and have the app ready to go about a second after.

15. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Vista 32-bit only supports 3.2 gb of Ram and for 64-bit only 8gb.

This is why MAC OSX ROCKS :p

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'll definitely need it if you have multiple accounts/users.

17. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Because you can get 4GB for only $100 nowadays...

18. AL2TEACH macrumors regular

19. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Depends what version of Vista, ultimate and enterprise support something like 128 GB of RAM

20. mhnajjar thread starter macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Please let me know how much they pay you for your Apple ram. Actually, I might be getting my ram from Apple directly just to play it safe and save the hassle of removing/inserting/selling!

21. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

HOLY CRAP!

That's really stupid, why not just support it on all versions?

22. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

They want you to buy the expensive versions.

23. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

If you listen to the pundits, RAM prices are believed to have "cratered" and will start rising again.

24. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Why?

1) RAM is cheap
    2) You're getting a top spec iMac apart from the RAM
    3) You can never have enough RAM

Why are you even asking? Are you trying to be noble by saying 4Gb isn't necessary for you, even though you shelling out for top spec and RAM is the cheapest upgrade?

25. SilentCrs macrumors regular

VMware (and I have a valid reason for it -- VPN to work works better through Windows XP for me).