Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I'm just wondering why people want 8 cores so badly. I dont think there is ANY app that requires 8 Cores running at 2.33-3GHz to go fast. Four cores, maybe for gaming and intensive scientific graphic apps, but where the hell will 8 cores be needed?

Im speedy enough with a one core turion 64 processor, and even better with a core duo, why do we need dual core 2 quads in a Mac Pro? MacWorld cant even find a program with 4GB ram that will run faster than 2GB in a Mac Pro because there arent any ones that intensive

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
I'm just wondering why people want 8 cores so badly. I dont think there is ANY app that requires 8 Cores running at 2.33-3GHz to go fast. Four cores, maybe for gaming and intensive scientific graphic apps, but where the hell will 8 cores be needed?

Im speedy enough with a one core turion 64 processor, and even better with a core duo, why do we need dual core 2 quads in a Mac Pro? MacWorld cant even find a program with 4GB ram that will run faster than 2GB in a Mac Pro because there arent any ones that intensive

Actually extra cores will hardly have much of an affect on gaming. Most pc games are not made for extra cores, unfortunately. I hope that they will in the future though. As far as 8 cores goes, it won't be long before some of the really intense programs will utilize all of them or at least most of them.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have code that I'm writing for work that uses well over 100 threads. I can always use more CPU. But that's server side code that processes millions of lines of data. Desktop stuff? Not so sure :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
3D rendering can use it. And I'm sure Apple will give us at NAB a new Final Cut designed to utilize 8 cores for video editors :D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Multithreaded Workflow Not One For All 8 Cores

I guess you haven't done any reading on the subject or you wouldn't be asking. It's not about ONE application using 8 cores at all. It's about being able to run several programs at once full bore. When transcoding video, those of us with only 4 cores have to put our work in a queue because once two processes are underway, the computer is hosed. With 8 cores, we will be able to run more processes before the system begins to get hosed. Still not what we need (16 cores), but better.

BTW FYI Toast 8 will use ALL 8 CORES at once to rip DVD Images much faster than it can now.

Moreover, all the 3D artists out there will probably be blasting you shortly. Everything 3D can use more than 8 cores at once.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC

Why would anyone want/need more than 640k RAM! :D

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Multitasking and applications written to take advantages of multiple cores, maybe?

I know that my Core Duo MBP despite being very well specced out is only adequate for processing large numbers of high-res digital RAW images. I have multiple disk arrays that have sufficient throughput, but rendering and applying batch adjustments and conversions requires even more horsepower with every generation. Soon, my smallest digital files will be 10mp DSLR files, which I can shoot 5 of in a second now, possibly more shots at a possibly higher resolution within 6 months.

I'm also working with digital video, and more cores always helps when exporting from FCP via Compressor, or when rendering effects in Motion.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Why would anyone want/need more than 640k RAM! :D

I was so disappointed when I discovered that quotation was fake! :(

Anyway, people convince themselves that they need these incredibly fast machines. That's one of the reasons that the acceptable G950 received so much criticism (although that seems to have dissipated recently).
People want to be able to say that they own an 8-core Mac.

EDIT: I don't mean to say that people couldn't legitimately need such a computer!
I'm just saying that many could do fine with the current iMacs!

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Rendering. Every time I hit render in Maya it takes up 100% of every cpu I have connected, right now it's a quad and a dual. I just finished an animation that was 21 seconds long, with 6 cpus, all at 100% it took 28 hours to render. I'll take as many cpus as I can afford.

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
Audio multitrack recording programs (Logic, Cubase, etc.) put full use to all 4 cores and all the RAM I have in my Mac Pro right now.

Faster processors, more cores, 64 bit OS and more memory capacity can all be used right now in the recording industry.

Dave

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
It's Not About Photoshop CS3 Benefiting Alone. With Other Stuff Simultaneously Yes.

Would photoshop get much of a boost with 8 cores?
You mean the CS3 version that won't ship 'til April 25th before Leopard ships? Now who do you think knows? And if you think they know, what makes you think any of them are going to tell you before Adobe and Apple do? i.e. Yet To Be Determined. But certinaly multiple instances of Photoshop would. Probably not a good example as you'd have to buy more than one license.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
You mean the CS3 version that won't ship 'til April 25th before Leopard ships? Now who do you think knows? And if you think they know, what makes you think any of them are going to tell you before Adobe and Apple do? i.e. Yet To Be Determined. But certinaly multiple instances of Photoshop would. Probably not a good example as you'd have to buy more than one license.

A simple yes or no would have done but thanks for that

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I mean whywould apple need to release a 8 core MacPro to consumers, maybe to scientists and goverment/businesses, but idk why people really need more than four cores.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Turns Out The Creator Of This Thread Can't Read

I mean why would apple need to release a 8 core MacPro to consumers, maybe to scientists and goverment/businesses, but idk why people really need more than four cores.
Well then you sir are not well read since most of these posts tell you why. I guess you'll be asking the same question next year why we need 16 cores. Because they're there silly. :eek: ;)

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I mean whywould apple need to release a 8 core MacPro to consumers, maybe to scientists and goverment/businesses, but idk why people really need more than four cores.

It's odd that you'd ask a question if you're not willing to accept the answer given.

For apps that take advantage of every core, you're going to get the work done in half the time, or have more processors available to do other things. It's been said... Video and 3D apps will really see a boost from more processors. Generally these professionals won't be using this computer for playing games.

The name of the computer is MacPRO.. that stands for Professional. So it's aimed at Professionals. If you have a lot of work to do, the faster you do it the faster you get paid. if you can do it twice as fast.. well that's almost like getting twice the money (not really because there are lots of other factors but still..). You are getting things done more quickly and that does mean you will be able to get more things done in the same amount of time.

As far as consumers... although this top of the line computer is not aimed at consumers (i think you really need to understand that point), a lot of hobbyists do professional level work even though they are not doing that for a living. Isn't their time as important as others?

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Well I want one and I'm just an over demanding home user...

Why do I want? Well I like to run multiple apps in parallel and get pissed off at the slightest drop in performance. Whereas individual applications perhaps don't take advantage of 8 cores I would imagine (but someone tell me if I'm wrong) that 8 applications running simultaneously would use a core each - perhaps that's simplifying it a little but I would expect the OS to distribute the load in such a case.

Also I'm thinking to invest in a computer that's going to be usable for 5 - 10 years, OK, nobody knows what may happen in the years to come but given the potential power of such a machine and the expandability for disk and RAM I think it will be money well spent in the long-run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.