Why do you need an activated iPhone to develop software for it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Apr 6, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm going to update this post to better reflect what I'm asking.

I have two iPhones. I have an original iPhone that is only "hacktivated" right now and I have an iPhone 3G that is legitimately activated through AT&T with an iPhone 3G plan. The problem I'm having is that I cannot update to 3.0 beta 2 on my first generation iPhone because I get an error in iTunes (Error 1161), but if I restore my first gen iPhone to 3.0 beta 2, it works, but I get the infamous "slide to unlock" screen. I can't insert the sim from my iPhone 3G because it will force me to sign up for a new contract. So what do I do?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You can just switch the SIM when you want to play with the development phone. Technically only 1 phone will be activated then.

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Well, right now I have an activated iPhone 3G and a non-activated first gen iPhone. I can't install 3.0 on my first gen because it requires me to insert a valid sim card. My iPhone 3G sim will not work in it without downgrading and starting my contract over. So I simply cannot just switch sim cards in this case. Any ideas?

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

You could use QuickPwn and jailbreak/activate the 1st gen. That will solve the activation. I don't know how far you'll get without a SIM card, though.

5. svndmvn Guest

It depends where and how you bought the first Gen, if it was a PAYG version, somehow, I suppose it could be an issue, if it was meant to be used as a phone with a contract you never signed there's nothing "legal" you can do to fix it.

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

So you're a developer now?

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yup! I'm going to write an app.

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

When you update to 3.0, you'll have the "Slide for emergency" screen. Run QuickPWN and don't install anything, cydia or installer or replace boot logos. It will "hacktivate" it so you get the "Slide to unlock screen", so you can use it, Or jailbreak it, it's up to you.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That's good, because it looked very much like a hypothetical scenario (lots of "if" and no past tense in your first post) and I was just wondering what kind of person would concoct a no-win situation like this just to be able to complain about it.

As for your "problem," why not test on your iPod touch? Problem solved. :rolleyes:

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

First of all... I have a Mac... second of all, QuickPwn cannot officially jailbreak 3.0. Third of all, beta 1 installs just fine on my iPhone, but I get an error updating to beta 2. Upgrading to 3.0 beta 1 kept my iPhone Hacktivated, but option-clicking update to go to 3.0 beta 2, I get a 1161 error (or something like that). Then I get stuck at the recovery screen.

I suppose you're right but, I like my iPhone more than my iPod touch. :D

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wait a minute, I'm confused.

Two weeks ago you said you didn't even have the SDK!! You also said you were sticking with 2.2.1 because, and I quote, only "real developers" should be testing the 3.0 software.

So, which is it? Either you've flip-flopped, had a complete 180-degree change of heart in the past few days and suddenly become a developer, or you're full of you-know-what. Which is it?

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm sticking with 2.2.1 on my day-to-day iPhone, but I want to start developing for the iPhone so I signed up for the Dev Program. Is that a crime or something? Tonight I'm going to buy a book on iPhone development and start learning. I really wanna get in on a piece of this financial pie!

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

So in other words you've had a complete change of heart - done a complete 180 - in the past few days. That's kind of what I thought, spaz. I'm sure if you give this "problem" a few days, it will pass as well. Call it a hunch. ;)

edit: oh yeah, one other thing. You said just a few days ago that you had started using your 1st gen iPhone because the 3G was too glossy for you. But then in this thread you said that your 1st gen wasn't activated. I'm confused. Which one of these stories is a fabrication? Because they contradict each other; they can't both be true.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

They are both true. Here's the deal. Read carefully. I flip-flop between my 3G and my original iPhone all the time. Here's how I do it. I "hacktivated" my original iPhone so that I can put my 3G sim card in it (with the 3G data plan and everything)... then when I feel like using my 3G again, I just put that sim card back in my 3G again. Piece of cake. The problem I'm running into now is that when I try to "upgrade" to 3.0 (beta 2) on my original iPhone, iTunes gives me an error. When I try to "restore" my iPhone to 3.0 (beta 2), I get the usual "Slide for Emergency" screen because it un-does my "hacktivation". See what I'm saying? For some reason, upgrading to beta 1 kept my activation just fine, but that's not the case with beta 2. :(

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Try again.

According to you - your words, not mine!! - your day to day iPhone is your 1st gen. So leave 2.2.1 on it, like you say, and install the 3.0b2 on the iPhone 3G. Insert the SIM temporarily when activating. What's the problem?!

16. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

No, it's just really hard to help someone whose story changes every single time they post! I mean, I'd just like to get a straight answer out this spaz, just once. That, and it's somewhat amusing to watch his BS stories unfold - they're so elaborate! :D

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

This is great. Want some popcorn?

19. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

He seems like an OK guy, from the things that I've read that he's posted, since I don't know him personally. You probably know more about him though, so I'll just stand on the side lines and watch. :p

POPCORN! Wait, this isn't going to cost me $10 for a small bag, is it?

20. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What do you care what I do with my money? If I wanna use my first gen iPhone, I will... when I want to use my iPhone 3G, I will. What's the problem here? Now, I'm asking how to get my first gen activated on 3.0 beta 2. My problem seems to be that you need an active AT&T account for every iPhone you develop on... that just seems dumb to me. I thought most developers have more than one device... am I wrong about that?

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I don't care what you do with your money, spaz. I was merely trying to understand why someone would invent a problem simply for the sake of having something to complain about. I don't know (or care!) which of your phones you use, but it's kind of hard to give you sound advice - which is what you seem to be asking for - when your story is always changing and you constantly contradict yourself. Anyway, good luck with your newest dilemma. I'm absolutely certain it will magically work itself out within the next few hours, once your attention shifts elsewhere. ;)

Just take a look through his post history and you'll see what I mean. It's really something.

Two days ago it's OMG, I can't stand using my 3G - it's way too glossy! I've gone back to my old iPhone. It's built like a tank! followed now by my iPhone 3G is my day-to-day iPhone and I just want to use the old one for testing apps I haven't written yet.

There's the classic *MY* Top 10 Reasons NOT to JailBreak!!! followed now by I "hacktivated" my iPhone.

First it's I'm gonna stay here in 2.2.1 where it's really fast!!! LOLZ followed quickly by OMG! icon comparison between 3.0b1 and 3.0b2 with a 1px iPod icon vertical shift!!

Before that it was 3.0 is AMAZING!!! followed almost immediately by Kind of disappointed in 3.0!!!! ...

and the list goes on. Good stuff!

22. svndmvn Guest

I read somewhere people activated first Gens keeping the computer not connected to internet, if that makes sense, while updating and therefore connecting the phone to iTunes and all that. I know it worked for beta 1, try if you haven't, with the new beta and let us know:)

23. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's not how I act at all. Here are some facts for you.

1. Yes, I'm not too fond of the glossy back of my iPhone 3G, but I am paying for 3G internet so I might as well use it. I still love my first gen iPhone though, so I use that sometimes too.

2. My first generation iPhone is not jailbroken and neither is my iPhone 3G. Here's what I do. I install 2.2 on my original iPhone, jailbreak it, then I upgrade to 2.2.1. This keeps my activation, but removes the jailbreak. Pretty cool eh?

3. 2.2.1 is nice. I like it a lot. I've decided to keep my iPhone 3G on 2.2.1 where I don't have to upgrade my baseband for 3.0. I heard that it's a lot harder and complicated to downgrade an iPhone 3G from 3.0 back to 2.2.1 because of the baseband wasn't meant to run on 2.2.1. However, the baseband does not get updated on the first gen iPhone, so I can downgrade to 2.2.1 without hassle... I've done it.

4. I never say LOLZ or OMG unless I'm quoting someone or saying that I never say it. I hate it when people type like that.

5. I did the icon comparison for the community's benefit so that people could see exactly how much the graphics changed between the 2 betas. I'm really picky about UI design.

6. 3.0 beta is amazing. I think it's great. There are some things that they're obviously working on and by the time it's publicly available, I'm sure it will be even better.

7. Why do you hate on me so much? I try to help people on these forums as much as I can.... and not all of my posts are pointless. Just remember that.

Yes I did try that. iTunes gives me the error before it even updates. Beta 1 installed flawlessly, but I can't get beta 2 to install the same way. However, I did not have the 3.0 SDK installed at the time and I'm reading that some users are successfully installing it after they've installed the SDK, so I'll see how that goes tonight. Thanks for your help though.

I found this: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/401512-post25.htm

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ya think? ;)

It's just unfortunate that someone with ADD 1) apparently refuses treatment and 2) insists on spamming the forums. A bad combination, really.