Why do you need music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SuperMiguel, Oct 26, 2011.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

So i see all this people with hundreds and hundreds of gigs of music.. But why?? why do you need to download music? i mean if you going to use it on ur iPod its fine but on your iPhone why? i mean there is pandora and there is youtube.. :S

2. Los macrumors regular

iTunes AAC or 320 kbp/s MP3 > Streamed song. Then lossless is a lot better. Say what you will, but it's true. You'll never get the same amount of quality of a song in a streaming service and so it'll sound like **** when you crank it up and if you have a good pair of headphones.

If you don't have a good pair of headphones, then by all means stream all the horrible quality music you want, but some of us like to hear the music like it was meant to be heard, in a CD or a near perfect match of a CD with a lossy encoder.

It's just a preference really.

3. Jai.Mac macrumors member

No offense but what's with these stupid questions? Your iPhone IS an iPod, don't you remember Steve's original iPhone unveiling? This WAS the original phone with a touchscreen iPod before there even was an iPod touch. If you're built into the Apple ecosystem and use iTunes heavily why WOULDN'T you want all of your music on your device? It uses up absolutely no data to listen to it if it's stored on your flash drive...

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

And...some of us like to be able to listen, even when we aren't on 3G or wifi.

Trust me, when I have no signal in the transit tunnel, I certainly don't want to talk to, or listen to the other people!!!

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

One of the reasons i bought my iPhone was to replace my phone and my iPod. It's two great devices rolled into one. I now use Spotify, but still have a couple of GB's of music on it.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Wow what a silly question on an iPhone forum. The whole point of the device is an iPod that can make phone calls.

7. M1911 macrumors newbie

Let's see.....
    Pandora either uses wifi or data and if your not im not in a wifi hotspot I am definitely not going to use up my monthly data listening to music when I could have it on my device.
    Who wants to do a youtube/pandora search everytime they want to listen to a song?
    having music on your iphone is far mor convenient plus its instant with no lag.
    also airplane mode on airplanes or what if you are in an area with no service
    It doesn't make any sense to not put music on your iphone :confused::confused:

8. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

i like my many gigs of music when i'm hanging out with friends, and i'm able to choose a song off my iPhone that fits everyone cause i have all types :D

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

For all these reasons.

10. M87 macrumors 65816

I'm not an audiophile at all, can't stand them honestly. But audio quality on a lot of the music on youtube blows. Pandora isn't for me either, I know what I want to listen to. That said, spotify keeps me happy without having to have absurd amounts of music stored locally. iTunes Match will probably do the job too.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

You're joking right? The first iPhone was marketed as a 3-in-one device: A phone, an internet device, and a widescreen iPod

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Why would you carry an iPod and a iPhone when the iPod is built into the phone? I agree with some of the others for it being a pretty dumb question.

13. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

14. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Maybe it's because some people don't always carry their ipods with them everywhere.

There are times when you're hanging out with a few mates and music is needed, and that's where an iphone with music on the loud speaker becomes handy.

15. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

SuperMiguel, it appears you're not that super

If you were super as you claim to be, you'd known better regarding quality

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the sensible question would be ... why would you NOT have music on your iPhone? :apple:

18. rkeato1 macrumors regular

pandora IMO sucks at meeting my listening needs, and youtube is a hassle. Also: seriously?!

19. icchy macrumors newbie

such a troll of a question... wonder why the original poster hasn't responded as of yet hmmm...

20. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

No iPod, as my phone is my iPod - why have 2 items? My iPhone replaced a phone, GPS, PDA, MP3 player and small camera, and added a huge number of extra features. The idea of the smart phones is not to make you look cool, but to combine a number of previously carried devices into one easy to carry item.

Youtube is video - I dont need video to listen to music, and why use data when I can have the music, at a higher quality, on my phone in the first place?

Pandora - again, data. Not everyone has unlimited data, or multi-GB quotas. I pay $30 a month in total and get 500MB, which is more than enough for me.

21. Xystence macrumors regular

This thread is amazing lol

In any case in the light of it, what services do most of us use? Do we plan on utilizing iTunes Match for our "Other Source" needs, or do most of us buy from iTunes or Amazon or what not?

I would actually like to know the list here lol.

I am fighting with the idea of iTunes Match in my head. I love listening to the quality of my local music, but I do not have to much. iTunes Match may only be a yearly charge but I think I actually buy less music then this charge lol.

Anyway whats you all's thoughts?

22. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Because I want to have control over what I listen to, I want to have control over the audio quality of what I listen to, and I don't want to be dependent on a network connection if I want to listen to a particular song Right Now.

And maybe I'm old-fashioned (at the grand old age of 22) but often I want to put on specific albums and listen to them all the way through, sometimes over and over again to really digest and absorb the music. I'm sure that's possible when streaming, but I'm not really the kind of person to whom streaming services cater.

23. Xystence macrumors regular

Ya they do not cater to me either. Every time I try one there always seems to come a song relatively fast that is never on there. Like for example Spotify is my most recent, and just recently I wanted to hear a certain song in the car and the song wasn't in the service, so the first thing I did when I got home was sync all my music again lol.

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Because I want to listen to certain music sometimes repeating them. Not all the videos on youtube is of good quality.

25. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I prefer to have my music on-demand...what I want to listen to, when I want to listen to it