Why do you still have to long touch on apps when we have Force Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaramoosh, Dec 16, 2015.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

It seems so illogical to me to have two ways of input in this case, all the time I go to long touch to move apps or delete them and I get the Force Touch activating. It just does it all the time, I'm not pushing hard... it's how I've always used a Touch screen. I just find it so fiddly and I find Force Touch useless since nothing is using it; the stuff that actually does use it I never know about because I've become trained not to even bother... like the boy who cried wolf.

I'd much rather everything have Force Touch and just put a delete or move app option in the pop up menu. That way they can finally redo the whole UI when it comes to that crap since it's so tedious to move them around. Why do I have to drag it all one by one over? Maybe let me select multiple icons? How about when I want to move an app to a folder that is on the right side, I don't have to play the game where I have to keep chasing the folder since it moves around?

Right now it's so fiddly and my solution would make it simpler and make people want to use Force Touch, we don't need both inputs. Then when that is done I can go on to complain about to go into apps to display information, like why can't I just have live tiles or widgets? Why do we have spaces the size of an iPhone screen between each icon on the iPad Pro?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

This. Plus not everyone who has a 6S(+) wants to use Force Touch. I'd expect to see both for awhile still.

C

4. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

You can adjust the sensitivity in the Force Touch menu.

Long press but don't apply more pressure to move and delete apps
    Long press and gradually apply more pressure to use Force Touch functions

It takes some time to learn and adjust. Eventually it'll become second nature like using a on screen keyboard.

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Good advice. Keep at it and you'll learn to do them both. They are different so they do different things.

6. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I've had my phone for two months now and I've tried the settings and to get used to it... I still cannot. That aside, I think it's moronic having two types of inputs and someone said not everyone has Force Touch... well just make this change on devices with it... simples.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Force touch is still very new, and I believe that even Apple themselves is still working out how best to optimise it. I won't be surprised if in the future, presses on iOS work very differently from now as Force Touch becomes more prevalent.

8. freepomme macrumors 6502a

I don't like force touch. It's like using an atm machine with resistive touch screens. It's a step backwards don't you think?

9. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

Personally I don't have any problems with Force Touch or holding onto an app to make them move. The difference is with one you're just touching the screen, basically laying your finger to rest on the screen. On Force Touch you actually have to make pressure on the screen. I personally don't have any issues using one or the other, but I guess it is also a matter of preference.

As far as moving icons one by one, yes that is tedious and should have new functionality by now. Maybe if we submit some feedback to Apple we can get the ball rolling for future releases.

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I find force touch an utterly useless gimmick