Why do you think Apple changed the leather case material?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dagdagdag234, Sep 28, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

I've had neither the 5s leather case or the 6 leather case (because I haven't gotten my 6 yet). But I'm leaning towards leather over the silicone.

It sounds like the 6 and 6+ cases have a firmer, smoother leather, less porous, maybe less prone to attracting dirt or wear?

Or what do you think they're trying to accomplish by changing the material slightly?

Is it a downgrade or an improvement do you think?

2. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I held the leather case for the 6 Plus and I wasn't sold tbh. My black 5s leather case was one of my go-to cases as I LOVED it. It was so nice and soft and looked amazing on my Space Gray 5s.

The one of the 6 almost seems to be made a bit cheaper? For me it felt a bit flimsier but maybe that's because it has a larger surface area than the 5s case.

3. Chrisxenofontos macrumors regular

Chrisxenofontos

If the bottom wasn't open I wouldn't think to change it. Slim, good quality!!

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

This is my first leather case but so far I'm very impressed. It's like a second skin on my 6+. Has enough grip to feel secure but goes in and out of pocket real easy and attracts zero lint. Can't speak to durability but it has held up fine since launch day. The added bonus is it fits perfect in the seidio surface holster. I'm going to get an Apple silicone case today to see what the difference is.

5. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I have a 5s leather case and a 6 leather case and I don't discern much of a difference in the leather between the two. I question if any difference isn't due to the fact that the 5s case has been used for a year and the 6 case is brand new.

6. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Wife has Red on 5, I got dark Blue on my 6, absolutely love wear look that you get after a wile. It's leather, natural product, some people love some don't.

7. MiRod407 macrumors member

I think you're spot on, after ten days of using my 6+ leather case it's starting to look a little different than how it was when I first bought it.

Also a warning to those that have the leather case, if your case get's a drop of water on it, dry off the case ASAP. I had this "blister" on my case from a few drops of water. I let it air dry and most of the swelling went away, bu there's still a noticeable elevated texture where the drops were.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Ive had both the leather apple case for the 5s and now the same version for my iPhone 6 plus.

Both are really good.

9. jian macrumors regular

Not impressed. The edge of the case already starts to tear apart. Though, the case itself does does the job. I would probably get the silicon case once this case has completely worn out and after that...6+s.

10. z0mbi3 macrumors newbie

Would you mind showing some pictures?

11. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Just take it back. It's got a one year warranty..

An apple store employee told me that if I noticed the leather tearing, just to grab in and rip it a bit and take it in.