Why do you think there aren't any iSight cameras in the Mac Pro display?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ilanasaysrawr, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ilanasaysrawr macrumors member

I don't understand why there isn't an iSight. The Mac Pro has everything else! WHY? :eek:

2. pscoble macrumors 6502

..Because there is no Mac Pro displays..? If you mean the ACDs then I don't know why they wouldn't it would make sense I guess if they did but that has nothing to do with the Mac Pro.

3. ideasman69 macrumors member

ideasman69

because they're professional displays. the majority of customers these monitors are aimed at don't want a cheap little camera

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

They had to discontinue the iSight camera because of environmental issues. They just haven't come up with a good solution to replace it. I think they could easily make a portable version of what is currently embedded in laptops and iMacs, but I think they are holding off until they come out with the new line of ACD. That sucks because there are a lot of us current ACD users who would like to have an iSight now.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

the truth is that the majority of these displays are sold as "show" pieces. Lots of offices will give the entry secretary at the front desk a nice Cinema Display, because they look good from the back and the side, and it makes the company look "cool."

I happen to work somewhere that has done this. the front desk has a cinema display, and the graphic designer has a samsung monitor.

I see this all over the place, too, so it isn't just my office that's adopted this thinking.

the lack of a stand-alone isight is a pretty big hole in apple's lineup when they are advertising how easy it is to do video conferencing and stuff.

6. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Because they can't find any Mac Pro displays. For some reason no one at Apple can find Mac Pro displays to install cameras in.

7. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Certain 3 letter agencies use Mac Pros and cameras are forbidden in certain areas where these computers are installed. If the displays included a camera they would lose sales to these specific agencies who use Mac Pro systems in sensitive locations.

8. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Because the iSight is a customer gimmick, and the Apple Cinema Displays are pro level? Enjoy your iMac.

9. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

An iSight would increase the cost of an already expensive display. iSight, though useful, is not completely productive in a non specialized environment. Some people don't need them for their line of work, and for others, the learning time may be too much for them to justify incorporating this as a tool. There is not a standard function for the iSight capabilities that necessitate it. Internet connectivity ,i think, makes a good comparison. Email is almost standard now among computer users, but there are still people who don't use IM. Im has been around from the start, and is not completely adopted yet, so as web cam are some what new to users, Why should it now be a standard function on a product that may not even be hooked up to a mac? The other mac line offer the isight, as posted above, as a gimmick inclusive to the mac system. I agree that this will help institute this a more common communication method, and believe that the iPhone will help bring this about. iSight should not be standard on the ACD's, optional maybe, but first the price must come down to make them more appealing.

10. astrostu macrumors 6502

Also, the iSight was discontinued during the current ACD lineup. Despite what the MacRumors buying guide says, the ACDs haven't been updated in a LONG TIME (last "update" was just a price drop). All the products with a built-in iSight have been refreshed since it was discontinued.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And yet the MacBook Pros have built-in iSights. And they say Pro right in the name. Hmm... ;)

12. termina3 macrumors 65816

I think the MBP has much more of a consumer appeal than the MP, which is solely pro. But everything here is speculation...

13. scorp888 macrumors newbie

When I queried apple about this, they said use a logitech quickcam...any of them work with osx now..!! (apparently)