Why do you use a glass screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by a.guillermo, May 20, 2016.

?

What is the primary reason that you use a glass screen protector for?

1. Prevent Damage from drops and impacts

2. Prevent scratches

3. Reduce smudges and fingerprints

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. a.guillermo macrumors regular

Hi everyone, I'm interested to see the main reason you use a screen protector. If there is a reason that I haven't included, please let me know!

2. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

in case for whatever reason should the face make contact with something that would scuff it (ie: concrete, lint, yes, lint), the tempered glass screen protector would have prevented it. and I prefer them to film. peace of mind is a factor, too, especially when you can get pretty CDO about certain things.

3. DevinNj macrumors regular

I'd rather a $10 screen protector get scratched or nicked or damaged as opposed to the screen on my phone. I use glass now because I like how it feels compared to the film protectors.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I didn't have a screen protector, but if I have to pick a reason, that because I want to avoid scratch (before I see this thread).

However, it seems since iPhone 6, the glass are more scratch resist. I use my 6+ since day 1, and still no scratch without any screen protector. Of course I will try to avoid the risk (e.g. won't put it in the same pocket with my key), but apart from the obvious precaution. I didn't baby it too much, and just use it normally.

TBH, fingerprint is quite annoying, if a screen protector can avoid that effectively, I may get one for just this reason (after seeing this thread).

5. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

6. kingston73 macrumors 6502

Why false?

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

8. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

These screens are pretty tough nowadays; or tougher. Well I guess I use one for micro scratches.

9. noahwetterman macrumors newbie

I guess I mainly use one for peace of mind. Can I answer all three? haha

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

a. glass shields are 10 bucks, why not
    b. prevents the oleophobic layer from wearing out and thus having to change screens if you're OCD

11. kkkace macrumors newbie

kkkace

12. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

13. arms10 macrumors member

arms10

All three reasons apply, though I could only vote for one. I had an incident in a store parking lot where my phone fell out of my jacket pocket, hit the inside of my car, bounced off it and did a facepalm on the concrete. Amazingly enough, no damage, and that was before the glass screen protector. The Tech Armor Ballistic feels silky smooth, though it doesn't cover completely to the edges.

http://www.techarmor.com/tech-armor...earest-screen-protector-retail-packaging.html

14. Toltepeceno, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I just posted this in another thread:

Sand can leave small scratches and it does for many people even though keys, etc. do not. Anyone that claims it is false protection does not know what they are talking about. Of course depending on where you live, or your work, some are more prone to it happening but it's cheap insurance.

I actually like the feel of the protector more and response is no difference. It's a lot smoother. I have one on my phone but not one on my ipad and I prefer the feel of the phone. I had one on the youngest kid's ipad and he dropped it, had it about a year and a half, and broke the protector. I think it helped keep the screen from breaking. I have a two pack coming and I am putting one on mine. I don't need one as I do not carry it around in my pocket or have never dropped it in a year but because of the smooth feel. My fingers slide much better.

I live in a small pueblo on a dirt road. Sand is everywhere and even if you cannot see it in your pocket it gets there.

I'm guessing it also adds some strength to the screen and for me that's just a side benefit.

So if you don't like them then don't use them but they certainly have a use.

15. Allin44 macrumors 6502

Keys cannot scratch an iPhone screen.

16. bubulol macrumors 6502

Do i need to add back tempered glass on the rear of iPhone?
    If i put my phone under case, does aluminium get scratch overtime when dirty/dust will inevitably making contact between case and rear of phone?
    Thanks

17. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I know in general it won't, however, I doubt if it's 100% "cannot". It's better to avoid the risk rather than sorry.

18. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

But earrings can and do. Happens every time I get a new phone and they don't have the new screen protectors out yet.

19. DevinNj macrumors regular

Back tempered glass is up to you, and yes the phone can definitely get scratches even in a case. Most case manufacturers even recommend removing the phone from the case periodically to clean it.

20. Cassie2015 macrumors member

Cassie2015

21. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Micro scratches here. I try to take good care of my phone but after 2 years it'll have a lot of micro scratches that you really can't see unless you turn off the screen and look at it outside.

With a $7 Anker tempered glass screen protector, I can not care about scratches and use my phone a little more "freely" than I would otherwise.