Why does 3D Touch enable the speakers briefly on iP7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Sep 30, 2016.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

Whenever I 3D Touch, e.g. on the keyboard or on an icon, I was noticing this bizarre "click" sound right before the 3D Touch haptic feedback. It's noticeable to me in a quiet room while using the phone normally.

Turns out it's the SPEAKERS coming on and off very quickly. It's obvious if you hold the earpiece or bottom speaker up to your ear as you do it, which confirmed my suspicion It's rather strange, and I wonder why it does this. It happens on my 7 Plus and my wife's 7.

Anyone else notice this?

2. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Sigh.... No. please read my post again clearly.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It does indeed sound like white noise coming from the speaker.

If I press and hold the white noise continues until I let go of the screen.

5. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Yeah it is definitely white noise. When you press an app icon on the home screen with 3D Touch you hear that the speakers go on for some brief seconds while force touching. But you only hear it while you put your ear directly near the speaker and not in normal phone distance.

Maybe someone should try it if it is also the case on the 6s.

But I don't think thats really an issue or something and more like, that's just how it works.

6. marf1million macrumors regular

No the 6S doesn't do anything like that

7. appleincognito macrumors member

8. iPhonefreak79 macrumors newbie

iPhonefreak79

I believe it's actually a built in sound effect as if you were to push a physical button. I think it's pretty cool but there is no option to turn it off yet.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not see how this would be a negative issue.

10. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

No, it's not. Unless there's some unannounced feature for the iPhone 7 that says, "Your speakers will emit white noise when the haptic feedback kicks in," it's NOT part of haptic feedback.

I hear the speakers click on and off at NORMAL usage distance in a quiet room. I thought initially it was my screen creaking slightly, or the haptic device being slightly defective. Only when I put my ear closer was I able to determine it's BOTH speakers emitting white noise.

According to people here, your 6s is defective if it doesn't. FYI, your iPhone 6s is not defective - this is a BUG on the 7/7 Plus.

Why did you not read my first post? What's cool about the speakers emitting an annoying white noise when you press the screen? We've established the 6s does NOT do this, so which one is working as intended? Let me tell you: the 6s is the one working as intended. Why do you believe it's a built-in sound effect. It's WHITE NOISE. That's NOT a sound effect. It's the "sound" a speaker makes when it's ON but not actually playing back any sound at all. This. Is. A. Bug.

I HEAR the speakers when I press my screen. Maybe your ears aren't as sensitive as mine, but this is not normal behavior.

11. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I've tried to recreate this but no noise comes from the speakers for me right before the haptic vibration when using 3d touch.

12. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

That's weird. I have two 7 devices (7 and 7 Plus) here and both do it. Interestingly, when paired with my Bluetooth headset, it doesn't happen.

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Mine makes no noise at all. App icon press, or home button press, no noise.

14. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Mine does make this same noise when I activate 3D touch. It's very low noise that I can only hear if I put my ear up to the speaker (both at the bottom and earpiece speakers). Not something I noticed before seeing this thread, though.

For those that are saying it's not happening with their phone, make sure you are activating 3D touch on something like a home screen icon. It doesn't make the sound on mine when I just press hard on a random part of the screen that doesn't activate 3D touch.

15. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Oh I'm sure all iPhone 7 devices do it. I must have amazing hearing to notice it. Again, it has to be very quiet in the room. I think it's a bit odd that the speakers should enable when you 3D Touch. I imagine that Apple will fix it in an update.

16. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Very strange indeed that the speaker would activate on 3D Touch and I'm guessing we'll never get an explanation from Apple on the reasoning for this, whether it's intentional/necessary or was a mistake and ends up being fixed in an update.

17. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

The Taptic Engine uses a sound chip to emit "noise" which translates into vibration. It's like a speaker with no cone to displace air. Instead of "hearing" the noise, you feel it via haptic feedback. In this case, via 3D Touch.

18. DesertSilver, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Actually, I don't think that's the case. The Taptic Engine is a completely separate component from the speaker and uses a physical mass to vibrate the phone. If the speaker was in fact emitting a sound that translates to a vibration, then it would definitely be heard if you put your ear up to the speaker but there is nothing audible other than a low hiss.

EDIT: I actually misread your message and understand what you're saying now. So if the Taptic Engine is essentially a non-noise-emitting "speaker" then it seems there can be just a software fix to not have the "sound" be sent to the actual speakers.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Even in a dead quiet room with the speaker against my ear there is NO HISSING SOUND on my iPhone.

20. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Possibly. I highly encourage you to file a bug report so Apple can collect feedback to address the issue.

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I can't replicate it on my 7 Plus, either.

I must be one of those Holy Grail of iPhone 7 owners that has none of the issues mentioned in these forums - no yellow screen, no hiss, no creaking, no gap...

I'm starting to feel a bit lonely and left out.

22. WilliamG, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

This has absolutely nothing to do with the noise coming out of the ACTUAL speakers on the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus. The noise I'm referring to is coming out of the speakers at the top and bottom of the phone. I've now confirmed the noise is present on FOUR iPhone 7 devices. It's not present on my 6s Plus, or my wife's 6s. It's just present on the 7 and 7 Plus. Also, it doesn't happen when pressing the Home "button," which negates your theory.

I'm pretty firm in my believe that if you don't hear it, you're not sensitive to it. I've been down this road before with many iDevices that everyone told me was "just my own defective device," until all of a sudden people start recognizing the issue with their own device, too.

It's fine. I recognize that people's hearing varies, and not everyone is going to notice this sort of thing.

Most importantly, it doesn't happen when I have my Bluetooth headset connected, which makes sense, given any "system sounds" would play back through my headset. This is a software bug, 100%, and I firmly believe that all iPhone 7 devices do it.

23. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Ok.

24. NJHitmen macrumors member

Interestingly, no, it isn't all 7 devices. I kept trying this over and over on my phone (AT&T 256GB JB 7, if we want to be specific), couldn't hear a damn thing. Thought you were nuts. Then I tried it on my brother's (Verizon 128GB MB 7)...and I could hear it clear as day. Went back to mine...nothing.

So, good news: I have concluded that you aren't nuts. But it isn't every 7 device.

Very odd...identical action on both phones (3D touch on multiple home screen icons), one device makes a distinct white noise speaker sound every single time. The other is dead silent. Confusing.