Why Does a 'Shared' Option Now Appear in the Finder For No Apparent Reason?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Saunderzs, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Saunderzs macrumors newbie

Ok I just got a new Macbook last week (my first Mac) and I've been setting it up and everything (downloading my programs, etc.).

Just today I noticed all of a sudden there is now something called 'Shared' in my Finder window, beneath 'Devices' and above 'Places'. This was NOT there before. In this 'Shared' thing there is something called 'ualleju_wxp', with the icon of a computer screen beside it.

This is odd because I never set up any sharing on my Mac, in fact I turned sharing off. The thing has a weird name and I never set up sharing so I'm slightly worried about it because I have no idea what it is or how it got there.

I'm thinking it might have to do with file-sharing software, because I noticed it after installing 'SolarSeek'. In fact, I uninstalled SolarSeek because of the whole 'Share'/'ualleju_wxp' thing appearing and worrying me (because I never set it up or allowed permission for it). Uninstalling SolarSeek made it go away, but now I've installed Transmission and the 'Shared' option has appeared again, again with the name 'ualleju_wxp'.

I've searched Google for 'ualleju_wxp' and it returns NO results, so I've had to resort to posting here. If anyone can help me figure out what this thing is it'd be much obliged!

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

This is likely a windows computer or Mac on your network. If you use wireless networking, do you have a password set? It may be a malicious hacker.

"wxp" looks like Windows XP to me.

3. Saunderzs thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok that might explain it as there are (sometimes) 2 other Windows comps on my network. My network IS passworded.

But why would this 'shared' thing appear when I've specifically disabled sharing? Maybe I haven't done it correctly?

Just to add, I try clicking on 'Connect As' in this ualleju_wxp' thing but it doesn't allow me to choose what to connect as. It just automatically says 'Connection Failed - the server may not exist or is not operational'.

I guess the bottom line is, how do I get rid of this 'shared' thing? I don't want it there and I can't connect to it anyway...

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Nobody is hacking you. Geez.

It's simply another machine (Windows or Mac or Linux or Solaris or whatever, doesn't matter), that is on the same network that has its sharing enabled. You can see them, but they don't necessarily see you. I see that on campuses and in hotels constantly. Relax.

Go to Finder Preferences>Sharing and uncheck the offending items.

Attached Files:

5. Saunderzs thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright well great! Thanks for the words of wisdom, now I have peace of mind :)