Why does Android hog my WiFi?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by sunking101, Dec 30, 2013.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Whenever my partner connects via her Galaxy S2, my connection slows to a crawl and often halts completely. Then when she stops web browsing, my iPhone 5 cranks back up to normal data speeds. This happened with iOS6 too, so it isn't specifically an iOS7 problem but I'm wondering why her Android device seems to get priority and hogs all the bandwidth?

2. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Your router is a fandroid

----------

Darwin's Origin of the Species hits wireless routers

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A quick answer is that many routers slow the speed down of all wifi devices down to match the speed of the slowest connected device, e.g., connect with a 802.11g device and everything slows to 802.11g.

I suppose I should say "older and inexpensive" routers but I haven't recently shopped routers.

4. Krista68 macrumors newbie

5. cynics macrumors G3

This is true for some routers however Samsung devices generally offer the latest in wifi connectivity. Ie even the S2 had 802.11n which matches the latest in iPhones even today.

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Perhaps you have poor bandwidth or an older/cheaper router. We have a blu ray player, 4 iPads, 2 iPhones, my Nexus 4, a game console, a laptop and whoever may be visiting all connected and no problems.