Why Does Apple Charge $1,000 for 4GB of Ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dissdnt, Jul 2, 2009.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

So I'm gearing up to buy a new macbook pro and I was pretty surprised by the 1,000 markup for another 4GB of ram ontop of the base price.

I called a local Apple certified shop and the guy said he could upgrade my current macbook pro with another 4GB for 90 bucks.

Something seems wrong here :)

2. Advil macrumors 6502a

3. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Right but it defaults with 4GB, and clicking the 8GB adds $1,0000, wouldn't it be half that since it's just really adding 4GB's to the base, making it 8GB?

4. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

because some people pay them that ransom money

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Because default 4GB on the machines are 2 x 2GB, not a single 4GB.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you are not adding 4 gb, you have to remove the 2 x 2GB and add 2x 4GB. because its not like they have a single 4GB stick in there now and you stick in another 4 GB stick. they want to fill both bays because the computer operates best with both bays filled equally

that said. it is expensive as eff

7. dk152 macrumors newbie

The price difference between 2 GB and 4 GB is tremendous. According to macsales.com, the price jumps from $65 (2GB) to $380 (4GB). Putting 2 of them will make a huge difference in price. Again, with little bacons for Apple, the price seems to be on the expensive side, but not outlandish.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

4gb sticks are new, so that means they are very expensive. 2gb sticks are old and in giant supply, so theyre cheap.

2x2gb is cheap because its using 2gb sticks. 8gbs requires 2x4gbs since MBP's only have 2 ram slots, and since 4gb sticks use new technology you have to pay a lot more.

The guy you called doesnt know what hes talking about or misunderstood you. He can put 4gbs of ram in your laptop for $90 but it wont be in addition to the ram you already have, to add MORE than 4gbs he would have to use 4gb sticks which are far more expensive than $90.

9. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed

It isn't about the total RAM, it is about the slots and configuratiion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The prices on 4 GB density DDR3 RAM is still very high. DDR3 prices have only in the past few months started to drop but I don't imagine them to lower anytime soon on that density. You have to cough up a lot of money due to the fact you're limited to 2 slots.

I remember Apple charing $700 for 4 GB when you could get it off of NewEgg for less than $100.

12. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

RAM is the only "on site" upgrade done to the laptops at the Apple Store. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask a sales associate how much it would cost to have the upgrade done, out of the box..................

My money would be on the Apple.com price, which is about a grand.