why does apple charge so much for extra ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgrrsh26, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

am i not understanding something here? can i not find 4gb ram cheaper elsewhere?

2. revs macrumors regular

All computer manufacturers do this, it's an easy way to make some profit.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Because a fool and his money will soon part. There are people that are intimidated to open up their computer and install memory or too lazy.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Every company needs to make a profit somewhere, especially if they are not making profit on other things such as iTunes. Most people, when buying a new computer, just want to buy it, open it and start using it. They are not interested or don't want to go through the trouble buying extra ram or HDD's and installing them themselves. Many consumers are not tech savvy at all.

Yes, we're geeks on here so installing ram is like putting on our socks but to non-tech savvy people it's like building a house.
    Best Buy charges $30 to install a single piece of software when customers buy a new computer. They know people will pay for it that are not tech savvy.

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

Apple ram is tested and guaranteed to work. Just like everyone else does the same thing.

Where I work we used to have problems with HP servers and third party ram. We switched to HP ram and the spontaneous reboots went away

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Ummm... All of the above, and... it's Apple. An iPod Touch 32GB costs $150 to make and ship, but then they sell them for ~$300. I agree that the product quality is much better then other manufacturers, but all of their products are twice as much as it costs to make them. A simple way to money.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

In Apple's defense, the price has gotten slightly more competitive on some jobs. But, because they can is a great reason.

8. pnyc macrumors 6502

Truly just because they can is the only reason. I wish there was a sticky in the forums to answer all the Why Apple charges so much for X threads.

9. revs macrumors regular

Any links to prove this? (seriously curious) They build so many machines I doubt they bother testing all the RAM.

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

You can sell a lot of units with a small profit margin or less units with a larger. Given apple's market share and target group the second way seems much appropriate.

11. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Yes and no... the net cost is far more than just manufacturing and shipping! Think of product development, R&D, advertising, Apple store rentals, thousands of employees, etc.

That's why fakes and counterfeits make so much money: let the real company do all the advertising and design work, and leech off of their success by pumping out cheap copies.

There's no way Apple makes a 100% margin on an iPod Touch.

12. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I guess I paid $55 for RAM Apple would charge me $90 for, of course the nice thing with having Apple do it is you don't have to unscrew now 10 or whatever screws on the bottom and it is covered by Apple's warranty.

I don't really mind taking apart my computer and I have 2GB of RAM left over, not much I can do with it though.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A lot of people dont wanna go thru the hassle of opening up their books and swapping sticks, so apples does it for a fee and a lot of people dont mind paying a lot for it.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Because Apple ram is supported Through Apple and extends the whole three years if you pickup AppleCare or longer if you work out a service agreement.

For some of ya'll and myself included Third party ram is a good way to save some money since we know how to test ram for defects and call up the manufacturer for RMA work. Same for large corporations who have dedicated IT departments in every branch office; the savings are substantial for corps who want to do their own work and can often do it next day.

But small businesses and data center people will go OEM. Small businesses will be able to take things back to Apple and tell them to fix it. Likewise for Data Center folks, If you get the premium support for , say , the xserve, they will be out to your data center/colo in under four hours if something breaks down, and if its the memory they won't just tell you to take it up with the vendor you bought it from.

So if you are doing mission critical work then 100% oem is the way to go, unless you are tech savvy and don't mind doing your own repairs.

15. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I'd except a data center would have a technician able to troubleshoot and replace ram at a failure...

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, seeing as the computer has to work when it comes out of the factory, I'll say that yeah, they do test it.

17. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I doubt they test every single machine. They probably pick a sample...

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I would expect them to have competent personnel on hand also. I would not expect them to have spares on hand for EVERY replaceable component in a rack. That's HP/Dell/Apples/IBM job provided I get the appropriate service pack. Especially true when you have to EOL hardware after a number of years.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

BTO Machines I would imagine get tested.

20. iLeW macrumors newbie

iLeW

Because they're money hungry, like any company

21. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

each machine gets test before the leave apple