Why does Apple do this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CC424, Mar 22, 2011.

1. CC424 macrumors regular

I put an Incase on my 2010 MBP on day 1 and never had a chance to use it without a case. I had been wondering to myself how it would feel but could never get the case off.

Well guess what, I finally got it off and really do not want to put it back on. Why does Apple make the products feel so good naked but not that durable?

I own several Apple products and now that I think about it, they are all like this! Errrrrrr!!!!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean by not being durable. I have a MBP non-unibody from 2007 that I still use daily and it's been naked all along. It still looks as good today as the day I bought it.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

do not think the case makes it durable because they really only prevent scratches.

Apple does not believe that they need cases or they would make cases

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Well.. Like any 'fine quality item' it is as Designed, and I don't mind at all.. My 2007 MBP is in amazing condition for it's 3 1/2 year old age, NOT because I don't take it out of the house, but because I LOOK AFTER it as such.. You can't 'wrap a new guitar or car' with anything to help you either..

Just Like It.. Treat it Well.. and Use It!! :rolleyes:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3 years on my current MBP and not a single scratch. It looks and runs like it did fresh out of the box.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Approaching 2.5 years. Still looking like and performing like new.

7. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry let me clarify durable...I was mainly referring to scratches. I know that Apple products will hold up overt ime functionally but from my experience you definitely need a case to keep it looking good.

Don't get me wrong I know a case can only protect so much...If you drop a bowling ball on this thing case or not, you're going to get the same result.

BTW...I'm on my second MBP. My first one was dented and scratched in the first day of owning it without a case.

8. eaf7s macrumors regular

Show me a plastic PC that wears better than an aluminum uMBP. More like "Why does Apple do this better than anyone else."

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use a sleeve when I'm traveling, but other than that, nothing. I even dropped it down a flight of wooden stairs but the sleeve prevented any dents or scratches.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well I think this comes down more to the owner of said MBP than the build of it. As I mentioned and a few others also, ours look just as good today as they did several years ago. Mine has no scratches save a few minute ones on the bottom.

If properly taken care of it won't scratch all up.

11. kidaquarius macrumors member

kidaquarius

Sleeves and cases are for the paranoid or irresponsible.
    That's how I feel about it.

[sent from my android]

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Had Apple laptops with metal finishes since the PowerBook G4 Titanium. Never scratched any of them, never used any stinking cases, and all when sold looked like new.

Sounds like the owner, not the product.

13. Jswoosh macrumors member

I disagree with that. Although I've never put a case on my MBP's, I use sleeves all the time. Not because I tend to drop my computer or disregard it but when taking it to class I'd rather have my MBP in my backpack than in my hands while walking. It can possibly get scratched up therefore I use a sleeve. So these accessories do have some use to them for other people besides the careless.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the only sensible thing you said. It's being quite responsible to take steps to protect a computer, and there's nothing paranoid about it. Accidents happen. Do you also think it's being paranoid and irresponsible to wear seat belts, lock your doors or take flu shots?

15. kidaquarius macrumors member

kidaquarius

Ok, I should've left sleeves out of there.
    A sleeve is entirely practical when traveling.

However, I still feel the same way about cases.

[sent from my android]

16. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Accidents happen. After my dog suddenly decided to go on a sprint and my HTC Incredible fell out of my pocket, I'm never going outside without that again. And as for my MBP, it's got dents in the top, so I need a case to cover that nonsense!

17. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

You missed out "or wear a condom" (and I don't mean wear out)

Incidentally, I was wondering which make of sleeve you use?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

19. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

He uses the bulletproof booq vyper lol