Why does Apple hate Taiwan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsolomonny, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Ok, I am an American studying and living in Taiwan. A place that provides apple with a large of their components. Taiwan is also an excellent computer market. That said why does Apple continually show a distaste for this market.
    The evidence:
    1. In countries around the world Apple is giving students free ipods when they purchase a new mac. Not in Taiwan. Hong Kong yes, but not Taiwan. This year i expect fewer students will try Macs out of disappointment over the lack of the Back to School free ipod Promotion.
    2.Our refurb prices are considerably higher then in other markets. I have been reading threads about people buying the refurb previous generation 2.53 umbp for about 1500 here the price is over 2200 USD please correct me if i am wrong:
    http://store.apple.com/tw-edu/product/FB471TA/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
    3.Even though the iphone's were made by a Taiwanese company we were among the last countries for the iphone to enter.

I really love macs and want to toss this windows piece of junk off my balcony but i feel terrible for how Apple is treating Taiwanese consumers. Can someone explain why Apple does not like Taiwan?
    Sorry for ranting... but i think Apple is wrong on this one.

2. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

What are the odds that there is a tariff or something? Are Dells and others priced strangely as well? Are their Taiwan based manufacturers and are their prices far lower? It could be protective tariffs/taxes.

It could also be a China vs. Taiwan thing since the Apple products are built in China.

Just some thoughts from the geopolitical side of things. :)

3. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Taiwan took Apple's mother out to a nice seafood dinner and NEVER called her again.

4. djkny macrumors 6502

The same reason the West fears the East: it knows its power-mongering days are nearing the end...

5. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

You guys are too funny. Thanks for making me laugh about getting screwed out of my free ipod touch. The prices for new Macs are very similar. They just don't discount the refurbs much here and are not offering the free ipod promotion. $2200 for the umbp 2.53 is way too much right?
    Just a FYI:
    They had the free ipod promo for the last 2 years just not this year. So disappointed:(.

6. backmoo pro macrumors newbie

i live in the Netherlands. There is NO refurb store here.

...sometimes I cry when there's no-one around...

Seriously though, I don't know why the refurb prices are higher. Consumer laws may be involved. But I thought I'd post to make you feel better about at least a marginal discount.

Good luck!

7. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

I believe Tiwan just kinda hates everybody... their international trade policies are kinda insane

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry Taiwan isn't a country.

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Well, 23 states maintain diplomatic relations, including the Vatican, so it must be a country.

10. gretafour macrumors regular

I hope you're being sarcastic. The Republic of China (Taiwan) is a country despite the claims of some bully governments who would like to think otherwise (e.g. People's Republic of China). A little history self-study should clear things up.

But anyway, that's off topic. I guess that Macs are more expensive in Taiwan because of tariffs and currency exchange and laws & stuff. It's the same way here in China: about a $400 premium to buy Apple. Apple product offerings here are also consistently a few months behind the US.

You might try my approach: buy a MacBook tax-free on Amazon, ship it to your friend's house in Alabama, and have him bring it back to you when he returns form Christmas vacation! A little unorthodox but it saved me more than $300. :p

11. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

It is weird that Taiwan had the back to school free ipod promotion for the last 2 years and now does not.

What kind of message does that send to students? I think it has to do with some penny pinching marketing exec who does not see Taiwan as an important market.

I am actually beginning to think that the overpriced refurb 2.53 umbp is a mistake. If you look at the specs it has 2 firewires and in Chinese it say it may come with a glossy or matte screen. Very strange.

12. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Boo hoo. You sound like the people in Singapore always mad that the iTMS isn't there. It's not there because it hasn't been approved and partially from politics (Creative is home there).

Crying over what you feel you should be entitled to get for free is just silly. Look at how many countries had to wait on the first iPhones.

if anything, check Apple Taiwan and see what policies they have as many international outlets are actually affiliated but not under direct control of Cupertino, especially in parts of Asia.

13. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Actually Taiwan never got the first generation iphone and we were among the last places to get the iphone 3g.

That is not the point.

Why would apple stop the promotion this year?

14. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

There's no free iPods for students in Australia either :( And refurbed Mac's aren't that much cheaper either. So is Apple hating on Australia too? :rolleyes:

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Apple Taiwan, you mean. Have you contacted them?

16. Karumu macrumors newbie

americans get heaps of great deals and products, welcome to life outside america.

i was paying almost twice the amount for petrol (gas as you americans put it) as i would have been paying in my home country. im not going online crying about it. that is life when you choose to live in another country, deal with it.

now doesn't the university school year start in September there? considering exams are being taken this week (july 1-3) for high school students i think it is a little early for a back to school promo. hold your breath, one might still be coming.

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...could it be because of piracy and cloning?

18. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

This is a fun thread.

Has Apple ever had the promo and taken it away from another location before (i say location because if i say country and Taiwan in the same sentence someone will have a heart attack)?

I have called apple here and they said they will not have the promo here.... but i would not expect somebody answering the phones for apple Taiwan to be well informed on their future marketing plans. I have also called all of the authorized universities here and they said they have received so many complaints from students but were told by apple that they will not have the promo here this year.

Students final exams are just completing now... is it possible they were waiting until exams were over. I doubt it. The promo started on 6/3 last year. However, the the stores here still do not have any of the new macs in stock and the online store says there is a 3-4 week delivery time. Does this represent a glimmer of hope?

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There was the free iPod promotion here earlier this year. It's tied into the start of the academic year which here runs the same as the calendar year but in the northern hemisphere runs from mid-year to mid-year.

21. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Huh? Wha...??
    Really??!!!
    What the heck does that mean?

I find the "maybe Taiwan took Apple's mother out to dinner and didn't call her" better and slightly more logical.

22. Pak^Man macrumors regular

I don't hink history is the issue here..... people ARE entitled to their own opinion (in many countries).

Issues such as China/Taiwan, Israel/Palestine, Kashmir, Cyprus, Tibet, etc. are heavily open to people's own perspective and opnion. Deal with it!

23. Pak^Man macrumors regular

OP, count yourself luck that at lesat you have Apple stores willing to serve your geography. I know of people who buy Macs and iPods in the US or Europe and take them back to their home countries, and pay countless duties and taxes on 'em.... count your blessings.

24. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

The first generation iPhone in Ecuador was $800.00 plus a 2 year contract! Pricing, promotions, such as a free iPod, varies depending on the laws of the country, plus VAT, tariffs, taxes, etc.

Maybe the laws have changed in Thailand and Apple can't do a free promotion anymore?

As mentioned call or contact Apple Thailand.

25. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

...says the guy who lives in America and probably got his iPhone on launch day.