Why does Apple have so many proprietary display connectors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maclover001, Mar 26, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Hmm... lets make a list:

ADC
    mini-VGA
    mini-DVI
    micro-DVI
    mini DisplayPort

I'm glad Apple has moved everything to one non-prop cable now, but last year was a mess with different models having different types of display ports. Just think its kinda odd.

Feel free to wasteland this.

2. dimme macrumors 65816

You forgot the original mac vga connector was different than the standard vga connector.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mini DisplayPort isn't proprietary. It's a free standard using the exact same specifications as standard-sized DisplayPort.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd call it proprietary at this point. Aside of Apple's 24" LCD, there are none on the market. Effing ridiculous that if I want to attach a monitor to my MB that I have to buy an overpriced Apple display or overpriced Apple display adapter that should have been included in the box.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You could call it proprietary "at this point" if they hadn't allowed free use yet, but they have, so it can't really be called proprietary.

Was USB proprietary when only Apple used it?

I completely agree though, that, since this is a port transition, there should have been an adapter included. At least they give you the Mini DVI-DVI adapter for the Mac Mini.:rolleyes:

6. RobP macrumors member

Apple's whole marketing model is based on locking the user in. Everything they do with their machines and software is done to ensure that everything you do is Apple - its as simple as that. Even the upgrade paths are carefully designed so that certain pieces of equipment are obsoleted and certain new equipments are designed with no possibility of working with older setups. At the end of the day it is the Apple way.

I was aware of this before I bought my Mac and decided that I could live with it. In many respects when it comes to evil empires, I'd have to say Apple are a lot more 'evil' than MS. It is just that Apple seem to do 'evil' with a lot more finesse - so much finesse that most Apple fan boys love it! :rolleyes: :apple:

RobP

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

The policy is, if you can't deal with the way Apple does it, an Apple computer is just not right for you. Stuck in the Windows world, I'm afraid.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe but that doesn't mean we can't comment on what bullshyte it is.

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

Sure you can, but it's like buying a car that you know gets poor gas mileage.... and then crying because it gets poor gas mileage.

10. rtheb macrumors 6502

Now we have drawers full of unusable adapters...

Attached Files:

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This isn't entirely true. Apple has made these specs available to anyone who wishes to use them. Seems Apple has always had the idea that they can create new specifications that everyone will adopt, particularly (for some reason) with video. It started way back, when Apple used a different sync pulse than everybody else for their monitors, then again with the weird AV display connectors, then ADC, now these new ones. I'm not sure why, but this has been one of Apple's obsessions for a long time.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least in the case of the Mini DisplayPort, Apple released it later than DisplayPort (which it's based on). Other manufacturers had already created designs using the DisplayPort, and it isn't cost effective to go back and redesign it. So for now, Apple is the only company using it. Given the actual size difference isn't that great, and wider parts availability, they'll likely stick to DisplayPort anyway.

Newer, smaller products (not yet in existence), might be able to take advantage of it though. Netbook type devices come to mind, particularly if they continue to shrink things making PCB real estate harder to come by.

13. belvdr macrumors 601

The good news is that VESA is planning on adding Apple's mini-DisplayPort to the 1.2 spec.

See here for reference.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Note that all of Apple's connectors of recent vintage
    tend to be minature versions of larger connectors.

This is because Apple is in love with thin form factors and
    in design even a few mm makes a difference as to how small
    you can go.

To me I agree with their approach. A connector should only be
    large enough to encompass the correct amount of wires and secure
    the cable.

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well, is there some reason that they have to put miniaturized versions on their desktops? It's not like the iMac needs to be any thinner, or the Mini needs to get smaller. I could understand using a miniaturized version on the MBA, but it makes no sense to use the miniaturized version on the MB or the MBP, because FW800, USB, and the ethernet ports are all thicker then Mini Displayport connector, so there is no reason to use a miniaturized spec, when you can't further reduce the size because of other connectors. Apple just wants people to buy their stupid adaptors, that end up breaking after a few months use.

Don

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

They already have IIRC. ;) (Why it's no longer proprietary from a technical standpoint). ;)
    Some members have complained about the cable not being that secure on the Mini DisplayPort. I've no idea if it's a QC issue in the manufacturing, or in the design though. :confused:

I look at it this way. You don't change an existing standard just to shrink it. Unless it's providing some real benefit, such as fitting a board meant for a smaller enclosure (PCB real estate) than what's currently produced. It would seem to be added cost for no gain ATM. :confused: I'm thinking they're hoping to develop new, smaller products that it will be needed. It would make some sense at least. ;)

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Eliminate the locks to shrink it? :eek: That sucks. Such a small cable really needs a lock mechanism to keep it secure. :(

19. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Displays

Let us not forget the original connection of the Applevision 14" and 17" which included mic, speakers, ADB, and video. I still have an Applevision 14" in my office storage room. Unfortunately it was around $500 and looks great but I can't connect it to any of my Macs except my old Quadra 840AV. And it was limited to 640X480.

Mini-DP only Apple makes it currently
    MiniDVI only seen it on Macs
    ADC had to buy a $99 adaptor (only other monitor was a Formac)
    Applevision listed above
    MiniVGA only on Macs

It's really silly to shrink things down but still exclude firewire from the UniMacBooks.

20. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

Very well said. That's what on my mind. :D

21. bartelby macrumors Core

The ADC connector was a great idea. I love my 17" Studio Display. 1 cable for everything. Nice and neat.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hmm, let's see:

USB- developed by an industry consortium, none of whose members hold sole licensing rights.

Apple MDP- developed by Apple who holds sole licensing rights.

Yeah, exactly the same situation. :rolleyes:

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Apple doesn't hold licensing. The port is part of the DisplayPort spec set by VESA, making it licence free and royalty free.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Maybe because DVI ports are honkin' huge? And smaller ports are easier to attach on the logic board, if someone plugged a DVI cable in and applied some extraneous amount of force, the connector would break right off. Not the case for smaller ports.

I know you have to buy adapters, but does the majority of people attach a secondary display? No. And having one port instead of 3 or 4 but paying a bit is not that bad for me. The MDP can support composite, av, dvi, DL dvi, vga, etc. Or have 5 different ports...

25. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Monoprice. No need to pay extra. the MDP adapters are coming real soon now, including MDP to HDMI which Apple doesn't make.