Why does apple hold keynotes for no reason?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brendu, Sep 9, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

Can anyone tell me why apple even bothered with a keynote for the minor tweaks they made to their itunes/ipod lineup today...

to me it was just the kind of thing that deserves more of a silent update on the apple store and they can introduce the new nano with a tv commercial...

i am SO glad i got my 2G ipod touch with the student rebate instead of holding out for the 3G... sucks for anyone who waited...

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

+1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????apple!!!! why!!!!????

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It was expected. People would have been more disappointed if there wasn't one at all.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apple has many yearly events, the ipod/itunes refresh is one of them. They aren't pointless, its one of the few insights to the company that people bitch about being too secretive.

Also, what does it matter, there are plenty of us that love to tune in, if you don't want to be disappointed with your unrealistic expectations then don't watch.

5. Johnny Apple macrumors newbie

Johnny Apple

Welcome Back Steve!

It was so the audience could give Steve a standing ovation to welcome him back.

Agree completely. Silently bringing back the matte display to the MacBook Pro was far more significant than this.

I am so glad I waited. I was ready to give Apple $400 today.

6. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah and i understood it when they were not nearly as big and popular as they are today but seriously apple... its not necessary to hold an event every year if you have to scrape together lame updates just to hold an event... do it 2 times a year and introduce the truly NEW products or revisions...

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The same reason people start pointless threads like this — to attract attention. This event wasn’t for customers or enthusiasts. It was targeted toward the mainstream media and financial community.

This has been discussed to death in the original Special Event thread.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This event's audience wasn't intended to be you.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So dont watch the damn thing, wtf is so hard about that?

Its like you people here like to bitch about your OWN choices.

10. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

i did not watch it... and i had no expectations.. i knew nothing special was coming, thats why i wondered why they had the keynote.

i was confused and wanted to know why they did it, thanks for the answers.. the hostility is not needed... the whole purpose of the forums is for those who know to inform those who dont... chill out.

11. jointsmoking macrumors regular

They got you and hundreds of other people talking about it. That's why. It's called marketing.

12. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I don't know why,but the new iPod Nano is achually big!it has a camera!!!!!No other iPod has had it!!!Though,I still wish the touch was first.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's a tradition that goes back 2003, ... even on years when there wasn't much to announce.

It also gets Apple a lot of free media time that they'd otherwise have to pay for.

It also doesn't really cost them much to put on a keynote, so why not? What would they gain by NOT bothering with a keynote? Seems like they'd lose more.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Why? To distract the tech news reporters from any other news for the day. To become the focus of every tech blog, news site, and even traditional news outlets for a day or two right when new products (no matter how new) are being released. Genius. Thank you for adding to the buzz with this thread. ;)

15. MACWhite macrumors member

i just noticed...

when i first ordered my new iPod (32G) it said 24 hours ships but i looked now and it said 1 - 3 days!!!

*sigh* im sure this isnt out of the norm though

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well that's amazing. From reading the forums here, you'd think that everyone went and bought a Zune since the new touch didn't have a camera, so there shouldn't be a shortage of product (to cause your shipping delay). ;)