Why does Apple insist on replacing the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blu101, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Curius as to why, and is this done in front of a customer or in the back room?

Besides the physical replacement of the components, is there anything else that needs to be done?

What guarantee do we have the an employee isn't going to snoop around personal files, or scratch up the inside/outside of the MBP?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You don't get that guarantee, which is why my MBP has a screwed up fan because they left chunks of my casing inside. They had it for a WEEK too.

They just went in the back and grabbed me a new battery. If they have to open it, they do it in the back.

3. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

you can replace it yourself, the process involves simply removing some screws that hold the battery in place and the connector.

Apple cant tell if you replced the battery yourself or not. you can buy a replacement battery from ifixit.com and do it yourself.

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Incorrect. On the new mid 2010 Unibodys, the battery is NOT user replaceable and must be replaced by an authorized Apple Technician, otherwise the warranty is void. Also, there are ways a tech can tell if you replaced or tampered with the battery.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

What are the ways they can tell? As long as you are sticking an APPLE battery back in they arent going to know. I have had my case apart and I dont remember seeing any seals or anything and Apple is banking on that the average person tinkering around isnt going to have the tri-wing screwdriver required to remove the battery.

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Serial # on the battery. If it doesn't match the serial # of the battery that was shipped with the system, and they dont have any records of work/replacements done on the battery of machine (which they will have records of through GSX) they will assume tampering and declare the warranty void.

7. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Smart lol

8. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I really doubt they're going to check that. In any case it would be easy enough to hold onto the old battery and switch it out if it needs to go in for service. I've got an SSD in my early 08 macbook pro and I've switched it out with the original harddrive twice when visiting the genius bar.

9. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

As part of procedure, technicians are required to check for any signs of tampering before performing any work (on systems with non-user removable batteries, part of that check would be checking the battery serial # against GSX records). Also, you are aware the HDD is user replaceable in your system, thus it doesn't matter if you swap out for an SSD or whatever.

10. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Didn't realize that they're required to check that. Where do they draw the line on what they check? Battery, optical drive, hard drive?

If the hard-drive on my MBP is user replaceable then I can't imagine why the battery wouldn't be. I had to take out about 20 screws, disconnect two cables, and undo some tape to get to it. Real pain in the neck compared to newer macbooks. Shouldn't complain though... I've swapped drives on the old iBook G3 a few times and you have to practically take the entire thing apart to get to it.

11. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

They check for tampering with non-user removable parts.

On your particular machine the battery, RAM and HDD are user-replaceable. On the new unibody machines (which the OP has), the battery is NOT user replaceable, only the HDD and RAM are user replaceable.

12. pflau macrumors 6502

I have swapped my hard drive out for a bigger one and have kept the original drive. When I brought it in for service I simply swapped the original drive back. No files to snoop.

13. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I'm asking because there's a lot of non user serviceable parts in there. Where do they draw the line? I had the left IO board replaced on my old powerbook and they did it in front of me at the desk. He opened it up, took out the old card, put in the new one, and I was on my way. Maybe this particular genius took short cuts, but it seems like checking every part would require far too much time.

See the attached screenshot from my computer's manual. I can't see how the HD is possibly user serviceable given how difficult it was to get to it and how much damage I could have done in the process. What's your source for that info?

To the OP: I just looked at the ifixit guide for replacing the battery in your machine. It has a barcode, so DesmoPilot is probably on to something. Checking that it matches the serial number in the computer would be relatively easy for them. That said, it looks like it's pretty easy to do yourself, and I'd just make sure to hold on to the old battery in case you ever need to take it in for something.

Attached Files:

14. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Well, on protecting our data - I don't think we have to go as far as securely/permanently deleting private files (unless you have classified information). I think a regular delete operation is plenty enough (backed up on our end of course). While I can see a curious employee checking out someone's photos or perhaps go the extreme and copy our music/movies to add to their collection, I don't think someone is going to bother with data retrieval software in the hopes of finding out who shot JFK.

Besides private data, handling is a valid concern. This comes from experience. It's a fact that nobody cares about other people's stuff, unless it's family and the occasional friend who knows how to care for things. Bottom line is these laptops aren't cheap, and most of us go to great lengths to ensure as long a life as possible, and one with minimal damage from its use, both electricaly, mechanicaly and cosmeticaly. I have no problems with Apple handling battery replacements, but this should be done in front of a customer and not in a back room where some dude from high school is gonna throw your laptop around on the table and "go at it". Unnaceptable. We've all been there with our cars and mechanics. How often do we find scratches and broken *****? And their answer is always the same - "it was like that when I got it". Now we have to go through that same experience with our computers? And sure, we can take pics and record its condition before handing it over, then check it after we get it back, but this is a pain that I'm sure no one wants to go through. Granted, by the time the new batteries die I'm sure we'll all be over the "anal" period of ownership and won't mind/care about a scratch or two. But still..

15. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

My MBP manual has instructions for the user to swap/upgrade both the HDD and RAM. This isn't a problems and will not void the warranty. The battery, however, is clearly marked not to be replaced by the user and doing so will void the warranty.

I'm sure I'm capable of doing iy myself, should it be available for sale through 3rd parties. Problem is, I don't want to void the warranty. Of course, this may not be an issue in the end, since the battery is capable of outlasting both the 1 year standard and the 3 year Applecare, but that depends on how we use it. Chances are only the 3 year Applecare may be at risk. Of course, without instructions from Apple, we also don't know if there's anything at all that we're supposed to do for a battery replacement other than the physical replacement itself.

Also, the MBP knows some component P/Ns such as the HDD as soon as we install/replace/upgrade it. Maybe there's circuitry in the battery that communicates this info back to OS X? If OS X records this, anyone at Apple would know and void your warranty. Food for thought.

In any case, I was just wondering why Apple mandates their own battery replacements. There must be a reason, and this we want to know before we start doing our own, if that makes us feel better. Think about it, if Apple trusts us to replace plug and play items like the HDD and RAM...is the battery a 100% plug and play item? Why not let us do that as well?

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Probably because you cant just go buy a battery at BestBuy or Staples or other places like that...the batteries aren't readily available for purchase because they differ so much between brands, models, and years so Apple takes advantage of this by "forcing" you to have them replace it. On the other hand you can get ram or a hdd just about anywhere that sells something related to computers and for apple to not allow you to do this when they are so readily available would cause a lot of uprise among consumer

17. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Good point. Can help to keep battery costs down with replacement volume...I wish apple would at least sell them for the out of warranty do it yourselfer.

18. namso macrumors newbie

There is a sticker which you have to remove to take out the battery, which probably is a tell-tale sign that you tampered with it.

The real problem with replacing a battery yourself, however, is that you simply can't because there are no batteries to buy. Apple doesn't sell it, and you can't find it in any third party. Since I can't go far far away to hand in my computer to Apple and also can't wait for a week without a computer, this policy of Apple has my MacBook Pro permanently on life support.

By the way, if anyone knows a third party outlet from which I can get a battery mailed to me, I'd appreciate it very much.

19. deeesea macrumors 6502

I thought it was cos they are a bunch of greedy pricks? Thought that was obvious actually. :p