Why does Apple keep putting 1gb vRam GPU's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

MBP are supposed to be professional laptops, professionals using CUDA for example do need a lot of VRAM. 1 gb isn't enough. So it's just an other laptop with gaming capabilities again.

It's not expensive to put 2 gb of VRAM for your GPU Apple.

2. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I think because cutting corners on GPUs is part of making thin machines.

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If you're going to use laptops for CUDA apps, just buy an HP EliteBook or Dell Precision.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It's really not hard to put in 3GB of GDDR5. I don't know why Apple refuses to do it, as more RAM would not increase heat or bulk.

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It does increase price ...

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Not significantly. NAND memory is about $1/GB, and even if you inflate that to, say, $15, Apple would be seeing a large increase in sales that would make up for the lost $30 from putting in more vRAM.

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Of course but every single company over inflates the prices. Even the "cheap" PC's are over inflated as they are using cheap brittle plastic and cheap parts in their builds.

8. jcpb macrumors 6502a

That is just wrong.

You need more physical space, cooling, and power to accommodate the additional video memory. All of these cost money. Also, more video memory alone does not equate to better performance.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Hey, you know they make different capacities of the same memory? HOLY DUMPLINGS you mean I can buy a micro SD card in either 4 or 16 GB? But won't the 16GB take more power and space? Nope! Won't the 16GB explode into white hot fire without liquid nitrogen cooling? Nope!

You can pack more video memory into the same card. Its why there's multiple versions of the same model of GPU that have vastly different memory capacities.

And 1GB is definitely too small.

I can't tell if you're trolling or what, but your assertion is not true.

10. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If you need more than that, buy yourself an Alienware, a Clevo i.e. Sager, or a bona fide workstation notebook. There is nothing trolling about it.

If you're buying laptops for serious gaming, stay away from Apple, simple as that.

11. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

There's nothing keeping Apple from putting in more video RAM. It's a cheap, simple process of ordering a different version GPU from NVIDIA or whatever manufacturer Apple sources from.

Some applications, particularly in 3D modeling, etc., require a decent amount of vRAM.

12. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

What if I wanted to buy a laptop that would be used for more than one purpose, and one was gaming, but I also wanted the much nicer user experience of OS X for everything else?

----------

In Apple's defense, RAM does consume power. The reason SD cards don't suddenly overheat when they're 10 times bigger is that they're flash media -- they are only using power for the reads and writes themselves. Video RAM, like system RAM, uses power all the time when it's on, so it would increase heat and power consumption by some non-zero amount.

... Not that I think it'd be a large amount.