Why does Apple lack creative...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cgfour, Feb 2, 2008.

1. cgfour macrumors newbie

Why has Apple not entered the designer field with their professional software? Are they so reliant on Adobe staying on the Mac platform that they are afraid to compete? I would welcome an Adobe Creative Suite competitor from Apple and hope it happens soon. Let me know if something has been said as to why they are not making these applications.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, its not that easy.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

because they probably don't want to piss off Adobe in the process?

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

5. peterjeter26 macrumors member

adobe pretty much focuses all its research funds into that and apple has many products espically in the lst year. sometimes you neeed 3rd party developers such as adobe to create software for you. plus there relationship is amazing and apple cant afford to loose that.

6. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

one reason may be...

One reason is that Apple and Adobe have to maintain some stability between their products, if you ask any graphic designer or any artist, Photoshop is the greatest program ever invented, then again a filmaker would argue that Final Cut Pro is, I don't know about that, but PS to me is so complete that a app from Apple resembling PS would be redundant and I would still prefer PS.
    If you ever looked at the splash screen from Photoshop and see the amount of people who have developed it in it's listing and the amount of patents PS has then you run into a river of possible consternation, why would Apple license that many patents to make an app that would in some way resemble PS or do the same thing that PS has? PS is Adobe's flagship app just like Final Cut pro is Apple's masterpiece. Another reason is that Adobe is not developing an OS of its own, any resources that Apple may have will be mainly utilize to further enhance the OS X cosmos and not to develop its own PS, Adobe actually frees Apple from going into an arena where Adobe is already nicely settled in, just like Adobe is free to develop apps for MS and relieves them from worrying about developing an OS that may take them forever to do and could actually be OS X-like but would it be as good as OS X?

7. elmo151 Guest

the wheel has already been invented(by adobe) and I,for one, have no desire to learn a P'shop equivalent product.

8. cgfour thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand Creative Suite is a polished well patented and widely distributed software package. The Mac has a culture in the design community and what Apple have done with their video products is amazing. I think they could pull it off with design applications. Aperture is an intuitive piece of software that was followed up closely by Light Room. They are not similar but offer an alternative which is my main point. When Macromedia went away, choice went out the window. I'd like to see Apple keep Adobe on their toes with a solution that only Apple could think of.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If Apple saw a hole I'm sure they'd go for it, but they'd need to find a company that's a good acquisition to get the ball rolling though.

Lethal