Why does Apple Music give priority to greatest hits albums?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Rogifan, May 23, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I noticed in some of my playlists that songs from an album are being replaced with a greatest hits version. Sometimes the version is slightly different or a radio edit. I know I didn’t add these versions to the playlist. Is there a reason Apple Music does this? I also noticed when you search for a song more often than not the first search results are compilation or greatest hits albums. With Spotify and Pandora when I search on a song the first result I get is the original album the song came from. Isn’t that how it should be?

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Real talk: Does it matter? It's a playlist. The recording is the same.

I don't find a lot of greatest hits albums in my searches, either.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes, especially if the song isn’t the same as the album cut. Also different albums have different audio quality/sound levels. Anyway it’s just weird to me that Apple Music would replace stuff in my playlists with something else.

4. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

In terms of search results I believe the rankings are based on popularity. So it would make sense Greatest Hits are at the top.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Oh ok. I guess that explains it. Still don’t like it. Certainly not replacing songs in playlists with a greatest hits version.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Most greatest hits versions are the same. As long as it's not the live version, I'm good.