Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I am sick of how often an app is released but it's not in the US app stores and vice/versa if it's only released in US but not other countries App Store. Is there a good reason? I mean rational reason besides the usual suspects, like profit, language, or truly something that's an obstacle. I wanted Assassins Creed Identity but its only in NZ and AU app stores. What the heck is up with this nonsense? Don't get me wrong I finagled my way around it and got it but I shouldn't have to, right?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's the developer who chooses what region to release their apps. Nevertheless, you can create an App Store account in other countries rather easily.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
As above, it's the developers choice as to what region's App Store they wish to release their app in. Your beef is with the developer, not Apple as to why they haven't released the app in the U.S. App Store.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
It's the developer who chooses what region to release their apps. Nevertheless, you can create an App Store account in other countries rather easily.
Does this require an additional $99/yr per account, or will one recurring payment cover those other regions/countries?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
How do you do this? Can you run apps downloaded from different region App Stores on the same device?

Yes. You can run apps downloaded from different regions' App Stores on the same device. Switch to another country in App Store (I'm not sure if you can do this in the iOS device, if not, use iTunes in your computer), download a free app and choose create account when it asks for your login credentials. Then you can set up an account in that country without inputting credit card information.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
As mentioned above, it is the apps developers who choose what regions their app (or movie, or music) comes out on. Some key restraints are legal... Certain types of apps or media aren't legal in other countries. There is also something as simple as the name being copyrighted in one region but not in another. It usually is something trivial that they could pay for but they don't feel like it would be worth it because the cost won't break even for them. But you are free to make a free Apple ID in any other region...So it isn't much of an issue, just a bit of an inconvenience to swap IDs back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.