Why does apple not allow landscape icon screens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Nov 3, 2013.

?

Do you want landscape icon screens on your iphone?

1. Yes, I would like the option of the icon screens being in landscape view

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No. Apple doesn't want it and neither do I.

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. This poll is horrible. (Other)

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I have always wondered why :apple: will not allow iphone users to use landscape mode on their icon screens like the ipad is capable of.

What could be the reason they don't want you to be in landscape mode? I would venture that landscape is the more popular orientation to many apps.

2. osx11 macrumors 6502a

Maybe sone apps like the phone app wouldn't really look good in vertical mode?

Also, I think the apps from one page wouldn't all fir in vertical mode?

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I think :apple: could find a way to fit the icons. Not buying that one.

4. DFZD macrumors regular

With the screens getting vertically longer, it doesn't make sense. The screen is simply not wide enough for it to be usable. That's the only answer there is. Since they have it on iPads, so it's not like that they have to build the feature, they just have to port it.
    Also since the iPhone is small, it would be harder to stabilise the orientation as compared to iPad. Ever tried using safari on iPhone in bed? It keeps changing the orientation. So annoying.

5. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

That's what orientation lock is for. :p

6. DFZD macrumors regular

Exactly, now what purpose would a landscape mode solve on an iPhone's homescreen. They would still just be icons placed on a grid, its not like you'd have a completely different layout like on some apps.

7. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Because most apps are used in landscape mode (at least for me), you wouldn't have to slip your phone around when you go to the home screen.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've always hated that iPad home screens rotate.

I viewed it as an evil necessity since tablets are used so many different ways and, indeed, some of them are even locked into mounts in one direction (like cash registers in stores).

So if it's something that iPads only got because of those kind of uses, I never expected the phones to get it since they lack those unique circumstances.

I honestly wish the iPad had a setting for disabling that because I hate having to keep turning the rotation lock on and off all day as I go in and out of apps. If I could just disable home-screen rotating I'd rarely have to use the physical switch at all.