Why does Apple not do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Jimmy Guphanti, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

Why do they keep making OSX more like iOS? iOS should be more like OSX. Is it me or do companies like Apple and Microsoft keep simplifying everything to the point where you cannot do anything, but increasingly have to pay for everything? Also, why are people excited when they bring Hulu Plus to new platforms? They should just allow it to work through the browser. Everything is a subscription payment now:

Xbox Live
    Extra iCloud Storage
    Hulu Plus
    File Storage
    Etc.

Also, to continue my rant, does it annoy anyone else that in almost every game related app on the app store, they always implement the "coins" system so that you cannot play the game without paying them, and you cannot just pay once for the app/ full version, but you have to keep paying for coins.

Does anyone else hear me?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Cannot do anything?
    What are some examples of what you want to do but can't?

Have to pay for everything?
    What are you having to pay for that you feel is unwarranted?

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Is this a rant or do you really have examples of things your cant do on OSX?

I agree they are trying to make thing iOS friendly for cross compatibility but untill they remove Finder and Terminal OSX will still be an operating system

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You added more information to your post but none of it has to do with the operating systems of OSX or iOS, it has to do with 3rd party apps and the developers, so I am a little confused

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't follow. I can play plenty of games on my mac without coins. Xbox live, that's on my Xbox, oddly.

6. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Flash Video
    File Manager
    Running Unsigned Apps
    Being Able to Add Music and Videos to the iPod Library without it having to be from iTunes
    Running previous firmware versions
    Be able to do stuff on a 3G connection (FaceTime, Downloads, Updates)
    True Background Processing

The list keeps going...

Hulu Plus
    Watching Videos
    Listening To Music
    Apps
    Games
    More than 5GB storage
    Storage
    Breathing...

----------

I am talking about on iOS

----------

The thing that scares me is the new utility called "Gatekeeper" on OSX. I bet in the next version, they will force you to only install Apps through the App store.

----------

What I am getting at is that these gadgets are getting so simple that Apple has too much control over what you can do, and everyone is excited about it. That's all. If you want an app, it HAS to be in the app store, and the only way to get an app on the app store is if apple approves it, therefore they are in control of what you can do. On a Windows or Mac machine, you can install or do what ever you want, and there is a file manager. (Windows Explorer, Apple Finder)
    On iOS there is nothing. The only way do anything is through an app, which Apple restricts.

Look at section 3.3.3 and 3.3.4

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/files/iphone-sdk-agreement.pdf

That is my proof.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'd take that bet. If you were right, why would they build the new utility called "Gatekeeper"? So they can remove it in the next version? Doesn't make much sense.

The rest of your rant is just as well thought out. (When the first thing you complain about is no flash...)

8. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Clearly the point of there being no flash in iOS is so that if you want to watch a video, it has to be and mp4 or html 5 or whatever it is so that it plays on the device. The only video website that comes to mind that has this is YouTube, which does not allow users to upload content that you can buy in iTunes (Movies, TV Shows etc.) If you want to watch a show or a movie YOU HAVE TO BUY IT IN ITUNES! For example, try watching this on an iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SBN_ikibtg

You can't because they prevent videos with music from rendering in HTML 5 so you can't watch them on YouTube for free on an iPhone, and have to buy it in iTunes, as that is then your only source of accessing the content.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^
    No, the reason there is no Flash is because it was a dog that hogged resources, degraded performance and drained the battery out the wahzoo, even to the point that Adobe dropped development of the mobile version

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Adobe stopped supporting Flash on IOS and android devices about 2 weeks ago.

11. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed, but forcing people to use the iTunes store also hogs my resources. See the above post about YouTube.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Again, Adobe stopped development on Flash for mobile. It is dead. It has nothing to do with iTunes. Plenty of video sites besides YouTube serve h.264 video through HTML5.

13. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Flash aside, don't you see how Apple is forcing you into iTunes for everything?

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Nope. Other than apps, of course. Plenty of choices for books, music, video, etc.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is a tired old argument about the "walled garden" that has been cussed and discussed over and over

Apple does not offer an open system, but that is nothing new
    Yes, you get the apps from the app store, but there are (as stated above) plenty of options

If you aren't a fan of that, then jailbreak and get your apps elsewhere

As far as content goes, Apple doesn't determine the fact that Hulu charges, that games aren't free or that they have in app upgrades or "coins". That is the content providers and developers. The iPhone/iPad are the delivery system, not the source of that content.

16. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't you see how eventually OSX will be absorbed into iOS? This is bad.

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

sure it has to keep up with iOS to make it all communicate seamlessly

but i disagree OSX will no longer have a file system, allow apps from outside the app store, flash, and everything else your were trying to say OSX cant do

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, I don't see that
    And no, I don't think that is bad

Apple is learning from both sides, OS X and iOS
    If there are good things to be shared, so be it
    We are a very long way away from there being only 1 OS for all Apple devices
    And if we ever reach that point, it will be because it works on the hardware available (whatever that might be at the time)

I think you have been reading too many doomsayer blogs and posts
    You have not raised any real issues concerning OS X or iOS, only with apps and content

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Nope. It's exactly the opposite. They started out with the same base and are developing features specific to their own UI. The movement of features back and forth between the two OS is a matter of creating feature parity where it makes sense.

Microsoft is the one doing what you are suggesting.

20. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

You can't disagree that Macs and iDevices keep getting more similar and more connected. Eventually, I believe that Apple products (not iPhones) will evolve into one type of MacBook/iPad device. They are trying to get rid of the distinction between desktops and mobile devices.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You keep changing your argument and I no longer even know what point you are trying to make

Technology is advancing
    We used to use punch cards for computing
    Then we used keyboards with dot prompts
    Along came the mouse, trackpads, stylus
    And now touch screens

Hardware and software keep advancing
    And we will continue to see new implementations of it
    Apple will learn from both OSX and iOS about what works

I don't see that as a problem

What you seem to be describing as a doomsday scenario (for whatever reason) is what Microsoft is apparently trying to do with the Surface/Windows 8
    Not what Apple is doing

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

So, do you think that laptops/desktops are going to lose the keyboard/mouse/trackpad or tablets/smartphones are going switch to keyboard/mouse/trackpad as the primary input method? Because that is the fundamental difference between the two OSs. There is no reason for them to be combined into one. That's what Microsoft wants to do, not Apple.

Obviously, they will become more similar and more connected as tablets continue to grow in power. That only makes sense. But the reason that Apple is maintaining two separate OSs, the different primary UIs, is not going to change. More likely, a revolutionary new UI will come along to replace them both.

(And, just to be clear, I'm not arguing against the possibility of some sort of convertible device that may switch between iOS and OS X in different modes.)

23. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

I think physical keyboards will go away completely as well as mice. The other thing that really grinds my gears is all these "apps" that have "coins" so if you get the app, you have to keep paying them to play it. Evil.