Why does Apple not like "go"

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Italianblend, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I cannot figure out why apple would auto-correct "go" to "to." (See pic)

I think "go" is a much more common sentence starter than "to."

Why, apple? Why do you control my grammar so?

Attached Files:

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably at some point the phone "noticed" you correcting "Go" to "To" and/or using "To" more often (at least in the capitalized form) and "learned" that it should be the suggested correction. Typically, if you correct it back to "Go" a few times ait should update what it had "learned" and think that usually you mean "Go" (rather than "To").

3. SprSynJn Guest

In my experience, iOS tries to autocorrect based on experience. At one time you must have tried to type "to" instead of "go", and it seems to think that's what you always want. Now, I'm talking out of my rear here, so someone who is knowledgeable might want to chime in.

4. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I have re-corrected it for several months now. It remains.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

OP lately autocorrect has just been absolutely terrible, correcting words to things i don't type or things that aren't even close to what i need.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Mine does not auto-correct Go. I think the other posts nailed the issue.

8. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I've tried resetting my keyboard dictionary and yet I still see it screwing up such as this.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Neither does mine. That said I do wish we could edit our dictionary rather than just deleting the whole thing. Mine has several mistypes I often make that I'd rather not reteach it but might one day get something like this. Would be nice to be about to reset just the bad part

10. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Just another example of apple not providing simple customization out of stubbornness. You know they can program an edit dictionary thing easily. But no, they do things perfectly themselves.

11. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

My autocorrects "Yo" to "To", so next time you want it to say "to" type "yo".

Goddamn autocorrect. You've heard those horrific stories I'm sure.

EDIT: I had the hardest time getting it to say "yo" while posting lol

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You can always override autocorrect with shortcuts in Settings-General-Keyboard.

Just another example of Apple providing simple customization, rather than a complicated mess. :)

13. SuperShredder macrumors newbie

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I know what is causing this. It's not your dictionary. Auto correct is much more responsive than people realize. It recognizes which part of the keyboard we are touching.

When you press the "G" key closer to the "T" key and then hit the "O" it will change to "To". If you press the "G" closer to the middle of the key or further away from the "T" it will not autocorrect after you hit "O". It takes a little bit of practice, but you can consistently get it to go either way once you realize this. It takes a little bit of muscle reprogramming to stop pressing the "G" where you are and start pressing it further away from the "T".

I know its kind of annoying, but hopefully you can get it to stop.

14. SprSynJn Guest

Shh! You'll mess up his agenda. :p

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My guess is the word "to" is used 1000 times more often than the word "go".

16. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

You all DO know you can turn auto-correct off, don't you? Settings > General > keyboard > auto-correction > on/off

Also, check the "shortcuts" list in the same area and you can customize auto-correct. ;)

17. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

What customization should he make? Correct the word go to go?

18. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding me? How is that "simple customization"? That's an extremely convoluted way to change autocorrect settings.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I know this is bothering you...but I wish for you that this is the biggest problem you have to face in your life!!;):)

20. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Wow. I just tried this like 10 times and it's true.

21. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

Amazing... Who'd know this if not an Apple employee... Haha

22. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

God has granted me a stable (if not meager) job, a house, a healthy family, a dog, and I have never had to wonder where my next meal would come from. I've had a pretty comfortable life. Sometimes I wish for more money to fix up my house or travel, but yes, I am grateful for all of these things.

23. SuperShredder macrumors newbie

It's actually pretty amazing once you understand the amount of thought they put into it. Although I can see how it can be frustrating if you don't realize that is what is happing. Thanks for the validation :)

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

If true, while seemingly smart, it seems like it's kind of doing the opposite of what it should be doing--if you have to change (even very slightly) the way you typically type of pretty much any phone to adjust to how the iPhone thinks is the better way of doing it (since clearly you doing it the way you have been doing results in incorrect words), then something isn't exactly all that beneficial to the user there.

25. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

What's amazing about it?

I push the letters shown to type the word I want. It's a real, common word, not slang, a name or abbreviation, and it grammatically fits the sentence... but, because I didn't push the letters far enough away from other letters (even though I still did push the right ones), it thinks I'm wrong and tries to force the wrong word in instead.

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't find that too amazing.