Why does Apple Pay Cash have to be a Discover Card?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by dontwalkhand, May 30, 2018.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Its barely accepted even if the business takes 'regular Apple Pay' just fine. And the store owner tells me its because they don't take Discover Card. GAHH !

2. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Don't think I've been anywhere in the last year that's not taken my Discover card...

3. scott:mac macrumors regular

Relationship and exclusivity. This will have been a very lucrative deal for both companies.

Discover are also very hot on new innovation making it a great starting point for APCSH.

More hhttps://appleinsider.com/articles/1...s-discover-network-for-new-virtual-debit-cardere

4. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I haven’t even activated Apple Pay cash. Once I found out the founds go to another account I somewhat lost interest.

I’m fine with using PayPal and other methods still.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Cash app is better or name your other app. It’s not platform specific and tbh that’s the best way to go . Why alienate certain people . It’s a good idea but meh

6. bushman4 macrumors 68020

It’s a plus but definitely not Apples best idea

7. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Better is relative. People are more likely to use what's already built in. If you depend on one of the out-of-band apps, you're requiring the person on the other end of the transfer to have the same app installed.

8. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Not really subjective . If all your friends own an iPhone sure but I have a few who own Android . It’s better to use one app everybody can use then use one app for X y and Z and another for A B and C.

9. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The physical card may be fine but discover contactless is a whole different story. Even on terminals that advertise Apple Pay will tell me to “Chip must be inserted” when using Apple Pay Cash. A Visa Apple Pay or Amex Apple Pay works fine.

10. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Again, my experience here has been totally different. Although I have 3 cards on my Apple Watch, I've yet to have to use the other two unless there was a very specific and deliberate reason (e.g. needing a specific card to meet a pertinent reward status)...