Why does apple say I need this for wireless?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theunknown1087, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Theunknown1087 macrumors member

for wireless:

http://www.apple.com/mac/

Click wireless basics.

"For a wi-fi network you need an apple Airport base station connected to your cable/dsl modem"

Wtf.

Can't I just hook up a wireless router to my cable modem, and ta-da, wifi.

Right?

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

yes you can hook up any wireless router. You don't need an apple marketed router.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

You are correct. I guess they're trying to pimp their routers.

4. Theunknown1087 thread starter macrumors member

5. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

You don't need an Airport base station, just a normal wireless router will work.

If you want the best signal i suggest you get one with a 802.11n capability.

6. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I guess the words "wifi" and "router" do not exist in Apple's dictionary. Those words are not 'magical' enough. It's not a wifi router, no.. it's an AIRPORT BASE STATION :rolleyes: Apple has always been good at taking an existing technology and renaming it (airport, superdrive, etc.)

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

not just that, its an airport extreme base station!:eek:

8. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Definitely DON'T get an apple router, they are rubbish.

See www.draytek.com for some quality wireless equipment.

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

if 2 years 24/7 beaming out wireless without *ever* requiring maintenance is rubbish, then im going back to a wired connection :rolleyes:

10. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

+1
    My second gen wireless B Airport never died, had it running for at least 4 years. Now I have lost count of the number of G routers I have been through.

11. iammikeDOTorg macrumors newbie

airports are merely overpriced wireless routers. if you're willing to pay for the "apple look," go for it. i rock an ugly, but bulletproof linksys.

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've been using the same Linksys Wireless-G router for over 5 years. It doesn't look pretty, but it works great and I've never had an issue.

Airport Extreme routers have some laudable features (like a built-in print server), but for the most part cost more than they should.

13. 2Bad4U macrumors member

2Bad4U

I've had quite the opposite experience. I've had numerous problems with my Linksys router which constantly needed power resets to get them working again. I'm presently using 2 AirPort Extremes, a Time Capsule and an AirPort Express, all without a single issue. Needless to say I'm very happy with the Apple products. I do agree that they are a little more expensive to purchase, but what Apple product isn't? If you are looking for a set it and forget it router I would highly recommend the Apple routers.

Besides they look so much nicer than those ugly Linksys routers. ;)

14. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'll say one thing.. neither of my apple routers have ever given me the trouble that Belkin or Linksys gave me when I was a PC fanatic (if you don't get an Airport, don't ever consider Belkin, those routers are garbage, I had 4 in 2 years). I've had my Airport Express for 3 years, my Airport Extreme for 18 months.... both are super routers... so if they're too overpriced for some, they're perfect for others.

15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I have never used an Airport Extreme router, but I am beyond excited to buy one to put in my new house. My current Linksys WRT310N is the worst router I have owned, and I have owned MANY Linksys routers. They all suck, and the software to modify the router is rubbish, it is impossible to use, not to mention that it destroys my download/upload speeds even more than my old WRT300N. I am ready to get rid of this ****.

16. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

Count me as another happy Airport Extreme owner. I've had my Airport for two years (as of yesterday) and have not had a single problem with it. Add to that the fact that I share a printer with the 2 Macs in my home and I also have a USB 1TB drive hooked up to it that acts as the Time Machine drive for my wife's MBP (can't do that with any other router) and it's worth all the extra that I paid for it (and then some IMHO).

17. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

The new wireless from apple will be called:

iWifi......

lol

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'll hijack the thread some more, and agree that Apple does make great Wifi products. I have had an Airport express ever since they were first announced back in 2004 (I think), and it still works to this day!

19. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I'd been using the 1st gen 500GB Time Capsule for a good while before running out of space and upgrading to the dual-band 2TB. Before that it was an AP Extreme, and we still have a couple AP Expresses for the stereo and printers. I have yet to have a problem with any of them.