Why does Apple say the Link Bracelet and the Milanese are not water resistant??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Luba, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I would think the Milanese and the Link Bracelets are not only water resistant, but also waterproof!

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm not Entirely sure, but I would think that depending if the link bracelet or Milanese loop is subjected to water enough overtime, it could cause some form rust or corrosion. ESpecially salt water.

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah, but the case of the watch itself is made from stainless steel....

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I Understand that. But there has been cases where the milanese loop and stainless link have been subjected to corrosion from salt water. If I recall correctly, there was a thread discussing some users experiencing corrosion with the stainless steel link and Milanese loop band from Apple. Furthermore, it's how you care for the stainless steel if its subjected to water, which Apple recommends rinsing it off if it was used in a pool or the ocean.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

But interestingly, there haven't been any cases of the actual watch experiencing corrosion.

6. Relentless Power, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Granted the fact the stainless steel Apple Watch has a different finish over the link and Milanese loop.

7. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

I think you're referring to the situation when stainless steel touches aluminum, it can cause corrosion. I forget what it was called. It was another reason I got the SS AW.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    Hmmm, the shiny SS vs brushed SS could conflict. But the black SS has DLC coating, shouldn't that protect it? We need the chemists or experts that responded to the aluminum/steel corrosion thread to help us.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The "DLC" coating or formally known as diamond like carbon coating is an added layer meant to protect against scratches and nicks because of the damage Black can display over the regular stainless. I, in my opinion, don't believe the DLC coating was designed to protect against corrosion From salt water.

But I agree, I'm not a metallurgist and they would have more knowledge in this.

9. nicho macrumors 68000

The milanese loop and link bands have nooks and crannies that the stainless steel watch just doesn't have. That could also be a factor.

That, or the glue holding the magnet in on the milanese loop.