Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErnstStavroBlohard

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
Apple keeps on selling the low and mid storage models for 100 less, but the top (in this case, 128GB) vanishes.

Why? And what happens to unsold top storage models?

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Apple keeps on selling the low and mid storage models for 100 less, but the top (in this case, 128GB) vanishes.

Easy, those who buy the highest capacity tend to be power users and less price sensitive. Might as well steer this crowd to the higher model too.

16GB users are very price sensitive and are willing to compromise their experience to save a few bucks. Offering an even cheaper model that compromises a bit further may draw more business here.

I.E., the market for a Ferrari body with bicycle tires does not exist. no one who buys a Ferrari is going to then try to save a few bucks and get bicycle tires for it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Probably to spur sales before the price drop.

If you know that the highest model would be available after the price drop, sales of that model would slow down at least two months before the announcement. By taking it off the table, Apple maximizes potential sales.

Don't like it? Apple doesn't care.

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
I'm betting they just don't make as many of them, like said top end customers will just buy the next model so I'm sure by now they know how many to make and what will be left over.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Resources - They want their manufacturing making more of the newer models and less of the older models.
Revenue - They want people purchasing the newest and most expensive devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Other than the obvious push towards customers purchasing the latest model, it also falls under their assumption that people who buy the last generation phone aren't a heavy user and won't be using that much storage. I think that is wrong, especially in terms of photos/videos.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Right now the cheapest iPhone 6S and the most expensive iPhone 6 are both exactly the same price.

If there was a more expensive iPhone 6 then they would overlap. You could potentially buy an old phone that costs more than a new phone.

That's not simple. That's not clear. That's not how Apple operates.

Reactions: willmtaylor

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
To promote sales of the newer device, and probably because production of the older model is scaled back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I'm betting you forgot that Apple is a business out to make money and does not concern itself with doing things that are in your best interest.

It's really easy to forget that in the face of Apple's marketing machine.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
Depends on your carrier if you are buying from them instead of apple. Right now my carrier-regional but has roaming agreements with Verizon-has all smartphones on sale for 50% including the 128GB. I went to upgrade my phone from the 5s to the 6s during this deal. All they had were 16gb and 128gb. The 16gb were $50 with 2 year contract, 64-they had none was $125 and the 128GB was $175. I ended up getting the 128GB. I had wanted the 64GB. Other regional carriers may be doing the same deals I don't know. That might explain the dry up of 128gb phones or perhaps there wasn't as many made.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Depends on your carrier if you are buying from them instead of apple. Right now my carrier-regional but has roaming agreements with Verizon-has all smartphones on sale for 50% including the 128GB. I went to upgrade my phone from the 5s to the 6s during this deal. All they had were 16gb and 128gb. The 16gb were $50 with 2 year contract, 64-they had none was $125 and the 128GB was $175. I ended up getting the 128GB. I had wanted the 64GB. Other regional carriers may be doing the same deals I don't know. That might explain the dry up of 128gb phones or perhaps there wasn't as many made.
VZW is only carrier still offering subsidized pricing in exchange for contracts. All others have done away with this.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Verizon stopped over a year ago with new customers and subsidized phones.
I realize that. The quote I responded to specifically mentioned upgrading his phone--meaning he was an existing customer--meaning he was eligible for 2-year contract subsidized pricing.
[doublepost=1471749049][/doublepost]
Wrong Verizon still offers them, the only thing to get a 2 year contract you have to buy from verizon.com, Verizon corporate store or best buy.
Incorrect. It's for current customers only. New customers have 2 choices:
  • Full retail price
  • Monthly installments
It's been that way for over a year now.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wrong Verizon still offers them, the only thing to get a 2 year contract you have to buy from verizon.com, Verizon corporate store or best buy.

Your wrong. It's for customer currently. A new, NOT existing customer has only two options, in full submission or monthly payments.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Your wrong. It's for customer currently. A new, NOT existing customer has only two options, in full submission or monthly payments.

I realize that. The quote I responded to specifically mentioned upgrading his phone--meaning he was an existing customer--meaning he was eligible for 2-year contract subsidized pricing.
[doublepost=1471749049][/doublepost]
Incorrect. It's for current customers only. New customers have 2 choices:
  • Full retail price
  • Monthly installments
It's been that way for over a year now.
O ok Sorry I assumed they still offered it to new customers.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Because Apple loves their customers and wants them always to have the best, which in this case means not allowing them to buy down if they want max storage.

It's all about love. Apple loves their customers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Because Apple loves their customers and wants them always to have the best, which in this case means not allowing them to buy down if they want max storage.

It's all about love. Apple loves their customers.
Apple must REALLY love everyone who wants to downgrade then!

And a double portion for those who want to modify iOS to their liking.

I'm guessing though that those of us who jailbreak our iDevices must really break Apple's heart.

So sad…

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Other than the obvious push towards customers purchasing the latest model, it also falls under their assumption that people who buy the last generation phone aren't a heavy user and won't be using that much storage. I think that is wrong, especially in terms of photos/videos.

Those who are willing to pay the storage costs to have everything readily on their phone are not price sensitive. What's another $100 to get them the latest generation phone too?

If you're buying old technology, you're basically saying you're sensitive to prices and want to compromise your experience to save a few $$$. If you want top tier storage, then pay for it. And besides, Apple has the data on who is buying their stuff. They're not going to produce a top storage last gen model to serve the 5 people in the world who want that.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Those who are willing to pay the storage costs to have everything readily on their phone are not price sensitive. What's another $100 to get them the latest generation phone too?

If you're buying old technology, you're basically saying you're sensitive to prices and want to compromise your experience to save a few $$$. If you want top tier storage, then pay for it. And besides, Apple has the data on who is buying their stuff. They're not going to produce a top storage last gen model to serve the 5 people in the world who want that.
Yes sorry, I thought I included that in my post but clearly not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.