Why Does Apple Watch take so long to start up? Also, charge while off?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
anytime I turn on my Apple Watch it takes at least two minutes on the Apple logo. Is this common? Just wondering.

Second; I know the iPhone charges faster when off. Can i charge the Apple Watch while it's off too? I tried turning it off while plugged in but it immediately turns back on. Again wondering.

MacManiac76

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
White Mntns, Arizona
Yes, turning on the Apple Watch takes about 2 minutes to fully turn on, this is normal, I just tested this myself this morning. I don't think you can charge it while it is off. It charges pretty quickly when it is on that it really shouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

Reactions: jjm3

btrach144

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2015
anytime I turn on my Apple Watch it takes at least two minutes on the Apple logo. Is this common? Just wondering.

Second; I know the iPhone charges faster when off. Can i charge the Apple Watch while it's off too? I tried turning it off while plugged in but it immediately turns back on. Again wondering.
What Apple watch do you have? I saw a video that shows the series 2 starting up in about 1 minute compared to over 2 minutes for the series 0.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
It sucks that you can't charge it while its off. Is there any way to stop it from making that "battery full" notification noise? Only reason I ask is because I plan to charge the Watch while I sleep and that noise kept waking me up all night (I eventually just took it off the charger). I was an early adopter of the Apple Watch 1 and I don't remember having this issue. I have the Series 1.

lightmyway

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
It sucks that you can't charge it while its off. Is there any way to stop it from making that "battery full" notification noise? Only reason I ask is because I plan to charge the Watch while I sleep and that noise kept waking me up all night (I eventually just took it off the charger). I was an early adopter of the Apple Watch 1 and I don't remember having this issue. I have the Series 1.
I believe if you put the Watch on silent, it won't make that sound.

Reactions: SDColorado

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Use "do not disturb" night setting in your phone,should mute the watch too.

Reactions: SDColorado

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Use "do not disturb" night setting in your phone,should mute the watch too.
"Theater Mode" actually mutes the Apple Watch and keeps the display dark until you tap the screen or press the digital crown to read a notification. This would be installed on the latest watchOS update.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
"Theater Mode" actually mutes the Apple Watch and keeps the display dark until you tap the screen or press the digital crown to read a notification. This would be installed on the latest watchOS update.
Yes,but using the function I mentioned,mutes it automatically at the set time every night,theatre mode must be turned on and off manually.