Why does applecare cost so much?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Abazigal, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I was looking through the apple site and this caught my attention.

Note: Prices are in Singaporean currency, so they will be higher than what many of you are accustomed to.

Imac 27': Price - 2348, applecare - 288

MBA : Price - 1288 to 2088, applecare - 388

Why is the warranty on a cheaper computer more expensive? Is the MBA expected to break down more easily than an Imac? Is it ever worth it to buy applecare for a MBA? :confused:

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

When i bought mione a few days ago in the uk i was offered quite a good discount.

I can opt for the discount within 3 months or extend my mba warranty within the 1st year for the full price.

Peace of mind !

You will soon come to learn after searching many threads that apples customer service is yet to be matched or surpassed by many companies !

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

4. iSayuSay, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

You answered your own question.

iMac gives you much more performance for the same price as MBP, and also you can get AppleCare for iMac cheaper compared to any Macbooks (which I really proud of :p)

Macbooks have more damage risks compared to desktop Mac (mini, iMac or even MacPro). You bring it anywhere, so Macbook have to face against various surface, treatments, weather and temperature. Means you can dent or break it easily. While a desktop sit comfortably on a table, unless there is catastrophic damage like earthquake or flood, a desktop can be keep safe and clean easily.

And also Macbook has battery, which degrades over time, and guess what .. my iMac dont have to deal with those problems. Less risk means cheaper insurance cost.

And no .. Macbook Air is not more expensive to repair, are you saying replacing 11"/13" LCD display on MBA is cheaper than 27" IPS panel 1440p on ACD or iMac? Surely not. But Macbook tend to break more easily than Mac desktop.

Simple as that :D

PS: I have a MBA and iMac too .. and I decided to delay my MBA's AppleCare purchase for the same reason It's more expensive than iMac's

5. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

But isn't this the sort of damage which applecare doesn't cover?

Say I am jostling with a heavy crowd at the bus-stop. Someone knocks into me and causes me to drop my MBA, and there is a slight dent or crack. Or I spill water onto the keyboard. I don't think the repair guys will change me a new one or patch it up, will they?

Mechanical faults like deal pixels or faulty disk drives, won't the risk be the same regardless of whether your computer sits safely at home or is lugged around wherever you go?