why does apple's activesync implementation suck

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pesos, Jul 12, 2010.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I gave apple the benefit of the doubt during the os4 betas, but now with the final OS out their activesync implementation is still broken. sending emails fails half the time, and even just syncing mailboxes breaks down if the mail app is left running in the background. i have to go into the multitasking bar and kill the mail app, then it starts synching again. the profile apple has produced to supposedly address the issue of their improper timeouts (which slam exchange servers) doesn't seem to resolve the issue. ugh!

2. SpankWare macrumors regular

Could this be more of a problem with your mail systems and less about the iPhone? I've used ActiveSync with Exchange systems starting the first day it was available. I have had the occasional random issue with sending emails but history has shown me that was more related to connectivity issues than with the ActiveSync implementation itself. In the past few months I've migrated my personal domain to Google Apps and now my wife also uses ActiveSync to get her email and again, no issues.

3. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

4. Loiterer macrumors member

If it didn't suck, why would anyone ever buy MobileMe?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What makes you think it's Activesync?

I'm being led to believe that it's the Mail app itself that has problems. I'm getting problems with other kinds of accounts as well. Problems I didn't have in iOS 3 with the same accounts.

I think it's the app, not Activesync.

6. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

There are definite problems with apple's activesync implementation (see the linked article) but I will take your word for it that there may be additional issues with the mail app itself -- personally I have nothing other than my 4 exchange accounts on the phone, haven't tested my gmail with ios4.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

With Gmail IMAP I'm sometimes getting messages that I can read fine, but then I'm not allowed to erase them for 5 or 10 minutes. Neither 'swiping' nor hitting 'edit' will do anything.

That's the most common one, but I've seen other random little glitches too.

8. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

This truly sounds more like an issue with your email systems than with Apple's ActiveSync implementation. We've been having no problems with any of the iPhones deployed across the country in my company. I applied the "ActiveSync profile fix" to my phone to help resolve a problem I had with GoogleSync, but with our internal system, we've had no issues.

9. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

+1

10. aperry macrumors 6502a

I'm confused. From the link you provided, it seems like the only real issue here is that iOS devices cause increased load on Exchange servers, which is responsible for two out of the three issues documented. The third issues has been traced to Google's code.

So, it sounds like your company's Exchange server can't handle the load. Talk to your IT staff. The Exchange integration on my iPhone 4 has been working perfectly. I'm at a 600-employee worldwide company with a growing list of iOS users (must be over 200 at this point). So it can be done.

11. tompl macrumors newbie

12. SpankWare macrumors regular

13. pogiboi macrumors regular

It's your exchange servers. No issues here what so ever on two of my clients exchange systems (2007 and 2010). Combined over 80 iPhone users.

14. DPK400 macrumors member

All of the iPhone 4's on our exchange servers do just fine. I haven't heard a single complaint from a user yet. What version of exchange are you running? Do you have other Activesync devices?

15. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm using MS exchange and have been very happy with it on the iPhone.

16. thep33t macrumors regular

I have had numerous issues on iOS4 with mail, but when it causes a problem, all 4 of my email accounts have issues. Never has it just been exchange, and never on our exchagne server have I seen any issues related to slamming of the server (minus the 30 sec password retries that never cease when a user changes their password).