Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
A problem that I have noticed, in addition to those already mentioned, is that iOS will often correct my spelling or typing but not delete the misspelt words or typos so I have to go then back and delete them manually.

Reactions: iapplelove

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have to bump this. Autocorrect is awful in iOS 13. I’ll be tying something, realize I made a mistake, hit the delete key to fix a partial misspell but autocorrect doesn’t look at the whole word, just from the point where I deleted and then tries to correct that. Very annoying. I’ve also noticed with voice translation I can see on the screen that it’s capture what I said correctly but when I go back to the keyboard it replaces the accurate translation with something else. This happened to me prior to iOS 13 as well but it seems more prominent now.
Oh my god, I posted about this on another thread, but because I am not a native English speaker, I didn’t know how to explain it well. Thankfully you explained it pretty well.

So, may I ask... is this solved in iOS 13.2.3 or even in the latest beta of 13.3?

Thank you.

PD: I can’t believe what is happening with iOS 13 unless they are re-writting all the entire Operating System code in Swift or something like that. Otherwise it is strange how everything is so broken...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh my god, I posted about this on another thread, but because I am not a native English speaker, I didn’t know how to explain it well. Thankfully you explained it pretty well.

So, may I ask... is this solved in iOS 13.2.3 or even in the latest beta of 13.3?

Thank you.

PD: I can’t believe what is happening with iOS 13 unless they are re-writting all the entire Operating System code in Swift or something like that. Otherwise it is strange how everything is so broken...
Not solved for me and I’m on the latest public beta.

• Angry
Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have been using the Google Keyboard for the past years (first on Android), and recently I tried the iOS 12 keyboard with the autocorrect. And I’m liking it so much that I will probably uninstall GBoard definitely.

So I won’t update my iPhone 8 to iOS 13 until it works so smoothly and perfectly, like it does in iOS 12. What a joy.

Reactions: iapplelove

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’d love to know what the heck they did. It was working fine in iOS 12. And yes its not the easiest thing to explain otherwise I’d be filing something in the feedback app.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have officially turned off auto correct. There are times when I kick myself for having it off but for the most part it’s been more pleasing not seeing all the ugly foolish mistakes ios makes.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Or is it just me maybe? I’m noticing especially trying to text quickly, ios 13 is quickly replacing my words with words I have never used and in some cases never even heard of.
Most of the time it will quickly replace a word ( even if spelled correctly) with another word that doesn’t even make sense in the context of the sentence.

Its actually getting frustrating now, especially trying to quickly respond to messages. A simple text now seems to take much longer. And even composing this thread it just changed the word “text” to test. I had to go back and change it.

Do not remember auto correct being this bad before the update. Just venting I guess, not really a fan of ios 13 as of yet.
Yes the most annoying part is the "correcting" an actual word!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
what I hate is when you type something that's not In the dictionary, and it autocorrects, and you delete and retype it exactly the same, and it autocorrects again! siri im not stupid, if I type it the same within 30 seconds its because that's how I want to spell it !

Ya really does make no sense for as long as autocorrect has been around

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
My biggest problem is when I dictate something to Siri she'll get it right most of the time then autocorrect it to something wrong. It's so frustrating to see it change when it was right initially. I can say something like "The cat jumped in the hat" and it'll type out like that then go to "The car jumped into the horse". It will change it from something that makes sense to something that isn't even correct so it's like dumb autocorrect rather than trying to fix bad grammar or something like that.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Came here looking for this thread that I knew had to exist. Can't believe it's not 100 pages longer!

This has been pissing me off for months now. It's never been anywhere near this bad in previous versions of iOS. I type/swipe a word, it gets the correct word, then when I correctly type the next word, and press space, it changes BOTH the preceding words to different words that make no contextual sense!

WHAT THE F APPLE!!!!

No, I never intended to imply that you have been texting about the IS.

Apple's machine learning algorithms learn from everybody's text input [1]. Enough other people have been texting about the IS, so Apple's algorithms picked it up.

LOL - you think there are more people texting about 'IS' (Islamic State) than there are people using the word 'is' . . .

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
LOL - you think there are more people texting about 'IS' (Islamic State) than there are people using the word 'is' . . .
Machine Learning algorithms consider the context. Of course I don't believe that more people are texting about the IS than using the verb "is", but enough people have corrected "is" to "IS" in some textual contexts that the Machine Learning algorithm picked it up.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Machine Learning algorithms consider the context. Of course I don't believe that more people are texting about the IS than using the verb "is", but enough people have corrected "is" to "IS" in some textual contexts that the Machine Learning algorithm picked it up.
Apologies for my initial tone :) maybe you're right but it's no excuse for the software result.

Reactions: TETENAL

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
Just wanted to post in agreement that I am having all these same issues. Also many of my friends are too. What did they do to iOS 13 to cause this? I've never had so much trouble typing on my iOS device since I've owned one. I hope Apple fixes this in iOS 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.