Why does battery life go down with updates?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by JWorld127, Oct 10, 2014.

1. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I have a 6 plus. Been getting amazing battery life since i bought it. I downloaded the update and i can literally watch the battery life go down on my phone while the back gets extremely hot.

I have already done everything you can do to try to fix it and still nothing.

Why does Apple do these things? Its like hey were going to fix bug that shouldnt have been there to begin with but now your battery will drain and hopefully it will get fixed on the next update? this is bs.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If the back is getting hot, it means something is stuck running in the background. Do a hard reset (home and lock button same time for about 10 seconds). It will clear whatever is running in the background.

3. JWorld127 thread starter macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Background app refresh off
    Hard reset done

Pretty much Im not going to name all the steps i did i am not new to the apple update game..been owning iphones since the first one. I am just upset they dont get this right after..what is it now? 10 phones?

4. MaxPayne79 macrumors regular

are you talking about the official OS's or beta's?

5. JWorld127 thread starter macrumors 6502

JWorld127

official

6. dilap macrumors 6502a

Have you contacted Apple?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sometimes some process might get stuck after an update or something else of that sort. That said, a lot of people don't experience some battery drop or any other ill effects after updates (not counting some updates that actually have some sort of a glitch that results in more battery use), so it's not really something widespread or consistent.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

This is bad advice. A hard reset is equivalent to pulling the plug, and should only be used when the phone is unresponsive and there is no other way to reboot it. If you're trying to reboot to solve a problem like this, just hold the power button until the power slider appears and change it to off. You'll accomplish the same thing, but doing a graceful shutdown doesn't risk software or filesystem corruption the way a hard reset does.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

On the other hand there have been cases where some people have pointed out that shutting down and then booting up didn't get rid of some (stuck) issue they were experiencing, while a reset did the trick.

10. MaxPayne79 macrumors regular

you wanna nuke your phone using dfu mode and reinstall the OS. Then restore from the backup you make before nuking it. Maybe something didn't install properly during the update. I find OTA updates strange because they work fine like 95 percent of the time, but then out of nowhere they'll **** up on some tiny X.X.X update. They're strange.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

A simple shutdown does not kill off processes that might be stuck in the background, which in turn is causing the phone to heat up. As I said, if your phone is hot then something is likely to be stuck and a hard reset should be done. I didn't say just do it for the hell of it, but that if the phone is running hot something is wrong and the hard reset will fix it.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Although that seems to be the case, and I agree based on how it appears to work, it is somewhat odd that shutting everything down and then booting up would somehow result in something not actually being closed off or being different than a reset essentially.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I've always thought that as well but I use a few different apps that track background processes and sometimes one or two will just get stuck and a regular restart doesn't kill it off. Its usually an Apple service that is the culprit and forever reason it doesn't reset on a restart.

14. JWorld127 thread starter macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I am in Colombia for business I brought my 6 plus with me. I have it on airplane mode with only wifi turned on. I have EVERY thing turned off that can drain battery or be a process. I use twitter and i can see my battery go down and the back side get extremely hot.

Why is this?

My phone was working perfect in the US and battery was exceptional.

I come here leave it on airplane mode and it gets out of wack?

I even went back to ios8.0 and didnt help.

Any advice? You think something is searching for something even thoug its in airplane mode?

I seriously hate ios 8...its nice aesthetically and all but man does this thing have issues.

15. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Downgrade to iOS 8.0 worked for me. I did downgrade as a new iPhone and not from a backup. Some people think this makes a difference. Your experience was the same as mine. iOS 8.0.2 is a disaster and should be an embarrassment to Apple. The difference in standby time for my iPhone 6: iOS 8.0 = 25 hours; iOS 8.0.2 = 5 hours. There are also a multitude of other iOS 8.0.2 issues I've encountered. Calls to Apple allow them to pull diagnostics from your iPhone. Mine showed good battery and hardware, but errors in the operating system. This occurred with both a restore from a backup and restore from new device. Surprisingly, a restore from a new device actually resulted in more bugs (such as the inability to head audio with a Bluetooth connection in my car) than a restore from a backup.

Hopefully, iOS 8.1 will fix these bugs. Please go to Apple's site and use their "Suggestion" page to report bugs. The more people who tell then what's screwed up, the better chance we have of getting it fixed. It's too bad that Apple doesn't post a known bug list for its customers so we don't continue experiencing frustration.

16. afsnyder macrumors 65816

1 phone every few thousand will have a battery issue and thats thousands of unlucky people but in reality its a small percentage of people so these issues are really hard for Apple to rationalize spending time fixing when they have other bugs to fix that affect a larger percentage of people.