Why does Crossover only play certain games?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ajvizzgamer101, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

What is the different in the games that makes them not function correctly on crossover, because I was scrolling through the list of games and I found that a few games I had were not on the list.

Also do you think I will be able to play the new Star Wars: K.O.T.O.R MMO when it comes out?

2. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

Crossover Games is essentially just a windows emulator. It isn't a full fledged version of windows, therefore the game might be calling for certain parts of the OS that aren't completely there. Games will always run slower under Crossover than native in windows, so I guess if you computer can run Star Wars great under windows when it comes out, then it at least has a chance of being able to emulate it. No guarantee it will have all the directX components and other things under Crossover though. :apple:

3. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Crossover only emulates some of the API calls to Windows so compatibility will never be 100% unless Windows and OSX suddenly became open source.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Crossover isn't an emulator. Look on winehq.org and crossover.com for help with specific titles.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

You were going Ok right up to the end. The last part is not always true. Sometimes Windows software actually runs faster in crossover. Crossover is not an emulator it is a re-implementation of Windows. Some parts work beter then Windows others parts not at all.

It's an open source project, so it you don't like it you don't have to just sit and gripe, you can help to make it better, they always need people to do stuff. Look here http://www.winehq.org/help/

6. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^that's true, if a game works well under CrossOver then it's often beneficial to run it rather then bootcamp