Why does deleted email go to archive and not trash?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, May 18, 2011.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Why does email that I want to delete bring up a icon that says archive and not delete? I want to delete the email and not archive it.

2. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I think that is because it is GMail. If that is the case, how do I delete the archived emails? Where do I find the archived emails to ultimately delete them?

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

You have to go into the mail settings and choose gmail act and turn off archive mail. Easy fix.

4. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Sorry but that won't work. Do a search here and you will find its Gmail's implementation of exchange that causes deleted email to be archived.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not correct. The fix works if you setup gmail via imap. If you set it up as exchange, then it will not work.

7. TheOriginalKi, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

If it was setup via Gmail/imap then the delete button DOES delete, thus if some one is 'deleting' and it is actually archiving they are obviously using exchange - so the poster was correct.

Edit. jenzjen is indeed correct - I simply miss read the OP.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Nice. I always appreciate it when people try to be superheroes and end up falling flat on their face. Kudos to you.

My post was correct.

Look above, the OP already replied thanking the forum for the fix, which means he was using Gmail via IMAP. Exchange and whsbuss reply are (a) incorrect and (b) irrelevant.

Second, the OP never said he is deleting with the phone actually archiving. Reading comprehension, please. He wrote "Why does email that I WANT to delete bring up a icon that says archive and not delete?" ... he was not getting any delete icon only the archive icon - which happens under both IMAP and exchange.

Thanks for playing.

9. TheOriginalKi, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I miss read and so I apologise. I had a very early start this morning and am looking forward to getting out of work shortly.

I will mention though that when setup via exchange that you only get a delete icon - granted it doesn't delete, but that's the icon that shows.

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Using exchange under advanced i just changed the deleted mailbox to trash and anything deleted gets moved there when i delete in the mail.app. Works for me...

11. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Are you sure you are using the 'Exchange' option on the iPhone and not the 'Gmail'(IMAP) option?