Why does each iPhone os beta get worse?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmoran27, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

1st beta sucked balls and was barely usable. The second beta was actually usable. Third beta sucked again. 4th beta also sucks. At this pace they will deliver a pice of crap in June. Why can't you force quit apps? Seriously. WTF. Buggiest software with no way to kill the app. Brilliant. It used to work if you held the home button. Now I have to reboot every time the dialer app loses it's fraking dial button. Brilliant!

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Betas are designed to shake out the bugs in the software. You expected this stuff to be rock solid by now? They've probably got around another 2 months to work on 3.0 further. This is why this is not a public beta, so most normal users wouldn't be subject to software that is this buggy. This is also why Apple tells developers that they shouldn't install the beta OS on anything else than a purely development device.

I was part of the enterprise beta with 2.0, and as a result of some of the problems I experienced with that beta I am not even bothering installing 3.0 even though I am a registered developer.

3. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

because it's not finished yet , they call it Beta for a reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

What the hell are you moaning about?! It's a beta.

5. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Anyone who is complaining about the Beta shouldn't even have it.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Doesn't holding the HOME button for like 5 seconds (until the app disappears) force quit it?

7. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Not in 3.0.. at least, not currently.

Edit: b3 was better for me than b4 is so far.. I've had some bluetooth issues and sluggish response issues in b4 that weren't there previously. However, this is a beta.. I knew that when I put it on my phone.. so I'm going to tough it out.

8. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I'll be the 10 millionith person to say it...

Beta

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

b1 and b2 were sluggish but functional for me. b3 sped things up dramatically enough that unless something crazy happens I'll be sticking with b3 until it goes out of beta. My app development is on hold at the moment anyway...

10. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

b3 will stop working in 10 days, though.

I'd think that qualifies as "something crazy"

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Oh yeah that... argghhh... guess I'll update now... :) Thanks for reminding me.... otherwise I woulda been a sad panda at some random point in 10 days.

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

It's BETA. Welcome to the world of software development.

13. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Betas are supposed to get better with each new release

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I would assume that each of these betas is "betaing" different parts of the software.

Just a guess, though.

15. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

ummm...its beta

there are probably a lot of debugging tools running too. dumping log files for analysis.

16. matttye macrumors 601

Not strictly true.

Bug fixes can introduce new bugs, especially in a project as large and complex as an operating system.

17. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I don't know what you are expecting. B4 for me is seamless in operation.

No app shut downs, minimal lag, snappy toggling between sms's / calls / safari / emailing - If I was sold B4 as the final build I will have thought that its authentic, given how much improvement it has been over B1.

18. pintnight macrumors 6502

That is not true. I'm a software developer, something might get changed in one code effect the other code that could make the product/OS unstable.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, sounds like you thought the second was better than the first. So, what does that do to your claim that "each iPhone os beta gets worse"?

20. John89 macrumors regular

Its a BETA for DEVELOPERS to TEST their applications on and uncover bugs. Its not meant for every day use!!

21. duky macrumors 6502

Perhaps you're talking about a very specific part of the beta software (i.e. just the Dialer or just the iPod app)? For me overall each beta has been a huge improvement over the previous)...but each had a glitch of it's own: beta 1 was just very sluggish in general, beta 2 fixed a lot but had the unfortunate crashing of iPod whenever I'd multitask, beta 3 fixed mostly everything then brought up the Dialer issue, and haven't had any problems with beta 4. Looks to me like they're development moves from app to app over time so I'd expect some things to break on each release...

22. ViPa macrumors 6502a

23. goingblue macrumors member

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm not sure about this but I think that now you don't need to hold the home button to force quit an app, just clicking it will do it. Every time I get a stuck app, just clicking the home button will get me out of it, holding it won't do anything.

25. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

clicking it will get you out of the app

But next time you try to go back to the app it is still borked.

This has happened many times with beta 4.

Safari has the issue where it is just locked on a screen and does not respond to anything. Only a reset fixes it.

So instead of allowing you to kill misbehaved apps you have to reboot the phone every time. This sucks balls. Especially in a beta OS. So you can't kill buggy apps and have to restart the device. This is brilliant. Give that guy a raise for this brilliant idea!

wtf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.