why does every body have a powerbook g4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gt40x4, Mar 24, 2010.

1. gt40x4 macrumors member

gt40x4

I dont know if it is just me, but so many people have an old powerbook g4, why? the macbook pros are way better imo but i see so many people have them. they are in loads of commercials, and that guy Pirillo has one, why wouldnt he up grade? am i missing somwthing? They are ok i guess but really come on. :apple:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because they are a classic machine that still look modern even after 10 years since being released. Not only that but they where expensive when new and some people want that investment to go far. You could also be mistaking the older Aluminum Macbook Pros as Powerbook G4s. The untrained eye can't tell the difference.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Everybody doesn't. For those that do, they either like them or they can't afford to upgrade. There's nothing wrong with PowerBooks. Just because you may not prefer them doesn't mean they aren't suitable for other people's needs.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

PowerBook G4s were supremely solid machines, quite livable even today, and they seem to last forever.

We have two in our household that just run and run and run. Both are finally showing signs of age, and you can bet we'll be replacing them with new Macbook Pros at some point. They've been great workhorses and (speaking from sore experience) are far more tolerable for everyday usage today than PCs of the same vintage.

5. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

^agreed...not too many people still using 10 year old hp's, acer, dells, etc etc.

6. dellar macrumors newbie

dellar

One Answer - 12" PB

Have you seen and used the 12" PB G4? I've got a 1.5GHz superdrive version with an upgraded 250GB HDD and maxed out ram. I've slapped a new battery in it, and its a wonderful machine. I've got a new iMac at home and a 2.53Ghz Mac mini, but my favourite machine is the PowerBook. Its the perfect size for travelling (fits perfectly on a aeroplane tray top) - better than any of the new MacBook/MacBook Pros.

7. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I have my PB 12" G4 from 2003 (1GHz) still. While slow to today's standards, it still runs pretty well (as long as it's plugged in). There's no machine quite like it today. That said, I've been using my MBP (in my sig) since I got it! :D

8. highscheme macrumors regular

12" G4 Powerbook, 1.33 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM

I had to replace the HD years ago with a 100GB version, and the battery lasts for like 3 min max.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

12" Powerbooks are so great, I bought one after I bought my Macbook Pro for school. The previous owner had a dead battery (and didn't tell me) but it was actually one of the recalled models, so I was able to get a brand new battery and a great condition 12PB. I had to sell it but I wish I had held onto it :/.

10. phrint macrumors 6502

My old PB G4 was a champ for five years with zero problems. In fact, I just sold it to my cousin who has an eight year-old PB G4 Titanium that is still running perfectly. They certainly don't make them like they used to but I am hoping to get at least five years out of my new MBP.

11. highscheme macrumors regular

Also, I am on my 2nd power adapter. I walked into an Apple store without my notebook and told them how the adapter fried and they handed me a new one without any confirmation or anything. This was like 4 years after I bought it.

This replacement adapter is about to die but hopefully it can last until the Arrandales drop.

12. Queso macrumors G4

I used to really love my PB12". I gave it to a friend who needed a computer and she loves it just as much as I did. The current MBP just doesn't have the same friendliness about it.

13. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I might still be using my Tibook G4 if it hadn't died in 2007. I really liked it, though to be honest, the Tibooks were much less "solid" than the Alubooks. Mine had a Firewire-port that was too tight (seriously, I couldn't get the iPod-cable out of there when I first plugged it in, and neither could the guys in my local Apple store - they had to send it in!) and the horrid flickering screen that plagued many pre-alu machines. It also had the flaky paint - I think some people actually made a living selling aftermarket paint for Tibooks back then. Furthermore, the Combo drive died about three years in and there was a small gap between the top case and the bottom case at the right corner of the laptop. It still looks gorgeous, but it had so many stupid little issues... When I got my SR-MBP in 2007, I couldn't believe how much more solid it felt.

14. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Because when I bought my 15" PBG4, it had things in it the competition couldn't even dream of having.

Now the tables have turned. Oh have they turned :\

15. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Yep, that too. I remember the Tibook being completely unique back in 2002. It just wiped the floor with every other laptop through its looks alone. The SR-MBP was similar; I think it was one of the first laptops with a LED-screen.

Nowadays, Apple doesn't really offer any cutting-edge features except the unibody. For raw power or innovative designs, I'll be looking to Sony's Vaio Z or HP's Elitebook, or that Asus G73 some guy keeps posting about. Still, Steve could wow us all with the new MBPs...

16. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Well if its on TV then it must represent exactly how the real world is!

17. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Because some people don't buy a new computer every year. People who just use it for regular internet stuff, email, and word processing don't need to upgrade very often. Simply max out the RAM and a computer can last a surprisingly long time... I plan to keep my late '07 Macbook until it's at least 4 years old.

18. archre macrumors member

archre

"why does every body have a powerbook g4?"

I can prove you wrong - I don't have one.

19. PaulDCarlucci macrumors newbie

Mine runs at room temperature, the LCD panel is gorgeous and frankly until I got Adobe Lightroom, I was just fine with it's performance. I'm sure my i5 or i7 replacement will be nice and fast the day I get it, but I'll be sad to let this thing go. It's been running great for over 5 years, totally worth the $2800. This is easily the longest I've ever kept a machine.

20. montom macrumors member

Because of the effin' glossy screens on the 13" uMBPs.

I have a 12" G4 Powerbook. Next step up would be an antiglare 15" uMBP for $1750 minimum. Too big, too expensive.

That's why.

If Apple puts an antiglare option for the 13", then I'll upgrade.

Down with glossy screens! If all you do is look at pretty pictures and videos then glossy is fine. If you do real graphics work, text editing, extended reading, then matte all the way!

21. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I kept my 5 year old Powerbook G4 as a backup, after I bought my MBP 2 years ago. The old Powerbook looks exactly like the MBP, if you don't closely examine the ports, and is still a perfectly serviceable machine, even after all these years.

22. capacity macrumors member

My aluminum PB 1.5GHz is 6 years old now and still runs like a champ. Have only had one problem with it in all this time: hard drive died last summer. Probably happened because it's been banged up so many times over the years. But seriously, these things are solid machines.

23. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Some specialized apps still require classic environment (though most have been converted to Universal by now) and the cost of upgrading the software alone is often very high, especially if you purchase the software yourself and not through work, etc.
    Cost of purchasing new isn't cheap, and some just use their laptops for word, internet, email and other light tasks that even older powerbooks can handle with ease.
    Familiarity is probably also a reason. Once you get in a routine with your laptop, all feels right with the world :p lol
    I'm sure they would much rather be out a ~$5 charger than risk setting your house on fire ;). I had the exact same problem with my old Tibook charger several years ago, mine actually burnt through the rubber insulation :eek: They replaced it on the spot (as they should). Good thing I was sitting right next to it!
    I see the comedians have made their appearance :rolleyes:

24. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

Btw, the first couple MBP's that came out, looked similar as the PowerBooks. So that's maybe why you still 'see' a lot of PowerBooks.

Just a thought... :)

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

12" powerbook G4 1.5GHz checking in. Best part of 6 years old and she is still magnificent.