Why does everyone like Angry Birds?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gusping, Mar 22, 2012.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

Hi,

One thing that bothers me.... the popularity of Angry Birds.

Why does everyone like it when it is one of the most boring and repetitive games on the market?

It's turning into COD, they release the same game over and over again. (normal angry birds, seasons, and space). People should really know that there are much better games out there.

Rant over :D

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

It's very much the simple nature that attracts people. What are people more likely to pull out while on the can, a complex game or one that they can quickly play?

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I love Angry Birds. It's not the most sophisticated or best graphics but it's just about the most fun you can have for 69p. I have an Xbox and PC but usually game on my phone more and more these days. I like to see how quickly I can complete each new level with 3 stars as a challenge.

4. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

5. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Each to their own.
    I like to see developers pushing the limits with console quality games such as modern combat 3, real racing 2 and infinity blade.

6. Warhawk15 macrumors regular

Warhawk15

I kind of felt the same way till I played it lol.
    I played it in Chrome for a while and got hooked.
    Its also fun on the iPad of course.

I'm pretty sure if I owned an iPad though I wouldn't buy it.
    I would only have the free version for cousins/nieces/nephews who would want to play it.

Like others say, its simple and easy to play.

7. WatermelonGame macrumors member

WatermelonGame

I don't like angry birds. The game is not challenging.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Boring? It gets harder and harder from what I remember. Also, each stage is different. Anyway, it's just mindless fun with some strategy and skill needed

9. Philipppa macrumors newbie

Why does everyone like Angry Birds?

In my opinion, it's the stupidest game ever designed. Doodle jump is better. Tap Tap is better. ANYTHING is better than angry birds. But I feel stupid for paying a dollar for it.

10. playerout macrumors newbie

I don't like angry birds either....but I see what you mean.
    Me first, when it comes to pick an app...I choose games that are simple, funny and tricky, but absolutely not complex.
    Anyway there are lots of games that are MUCH better than angry birds, the crazy thing about it is just the enormous success obtained, compared to the other games. It's like a sort of cult hit by now, and I don't think I'd spend even 69p for a cult hit if it's not worth it....

11. c11urk macrumors newbie

I think its a abit over hype.

It's a good game don't get me wrong but many better ones in my eyes

Jetpack Joyride for iPad.
    Temple Run for iPhone.

12. kayloh20 macrumors regular

I've actually thought this as well and I'm still all up for seeing what developers can crank out...but in terms of what I actually play most of the time? Simple, quick games to pass the time on the bus or waiting in line.

I think it has to do with how iPhones and iPod touches are a different kind of portable than Nintendo DS or PSP platforms.

13. kicko macrumors 65816

Just not liking Angry birds because its popular is a fairly lame reason. The fact is its a simple game that sometimes requires strategy. Most of all you can pull out your phone play it for 5min and put it away. Thats what people love most i think. All the different versions can get a little old but again being such a simple game i'm amazed they have managed to keep things fairly fresh. Space is a worthy new version for .99 its a no brainer.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought it just to have it a few months ago but have never played it and don't think I ever will. I do what with apps sometimes.

15. Benson11 macrumors regular

Benson11

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Why does everyone care what someone likes? I don't go on rants when people listen to music I don't like, or what movies I don't like. We all have different taste in food, women, men, hairstyle, clothes style. Some people like Angry birds and others like COD. We might even have people here who don't games at all.

One of my all time favorite games on iOS is tower defense. Simple graphics, but fun to play.

17. FluffyPop macrumors member

That's what I've always been wandering too. It's a nice little game, but it's neither better nor in any way more special than thousands of other smartphone games.

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Why is everyone wandering in here? Nobody has GPS?

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

OP are you being forced to buy it or something? I don't understand why the popularity bothers you. Perhaps you are jealous that "one of the most boring and repetitive games on the market" is raking in hundreds of millions of dollars for not you?

20. ring macrumors regular

I hate it because it is loaded down with ******** ("News", ads, promotions, and other general garbage)

**** rovio

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why does it bother you? If you don't care for it move on. Do you obsess over everything you don't like?

Sounds like you need to take your own advice. :D

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

So In life this is the only thing bothering you? hmm lets see hunger, cruelty to humans and animals why we are still fighting the Afghanistan War. Why gas is heading to $5 a gallon in the US. Unemployment, taxes these are the things that bother me. oh and these days I play mostly Temple Run, Nuts and Infinity Blade II.

24. mostwant3d macrumors newbie

Fast resume

Angry birds and Smash cops both use real life movements.
    However the reason I prefer Angry birds over Smash cops is the Fast resume. Whenever I want higher scores and want to replay a level, with 2 quick touches I can restart Angry birds instead of Smash cops which takes a whopping 5 seconds till it counts down to restart a level.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I honestly don't get the attraction either. It was cute for 5 - 10 minutes then the fun fades and I haven't picked it up since. (I'm more of a Plants vs Zombies person myself).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for Rovio's success and its nice to see people enjoying the game but for me it wasn't that big of a deal.