Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi,

One thing that bothers me.... the popularity of Angry Birds.

Why does everyone like it when it is one of the most boring and repetitive games on the market?

It's turning into COD, they release the same game over and over again. (normal angry birds, seasons, and space). People should really know that there are much better games out there.

Rant over :D

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
It's very much the simple nature that attracts people. What are people more likely to pull out while on the can, a complex game or one that they can quickly play?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I love Angry Birds. It's not the most sophisticated or best graphics but it's just about the most fun you can have for 69p. I have an Xbox and PC but usually game on my phone more and more these days. I like to see how quickly I can complete each new level with 3 stars as a challenge.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Each to their own.
I like to see developers pushing the limits with console quality games such as modern combat 3, real racing 2 and infinity blade.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
I kind of felt the same way till I played it lol.
I played it in Chrome for a while and got hooked.
Its also fun on the iPad of course.

I'm pretty sure if I owned an iPad though I wouldn't buy it.
I would only have the free version for cousins/nieces/nephews who would want to play it.

Like others say, its simple and easy to play.

Philipppa

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Why does everyone like Angry Birds?

In my opinion, it's the stupidest game ever designed. Doodle jump is better. Tap Tap is better. ANYTHING is better than angry birds. But I feel stupid for paying a dollar for it.

playerout

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
It's very much the simple nature that attracts people. What are people more likely to pull out while on the can, a complex game or one that they can quickly play?
I don't like angry birds either....but I see what you mean.
Me first, when it comes to pick an app...I choose games that are simple, funny and tricky, but absolutely not complex.
Anyway there are lots of games that are MUCH better than angry birds, the crazy thing about it is just the enormous success obtained, compared to the other games. It's like a sort of cult hit by now, and I don't think I'd spend even 69p for a cult hit if it's not worth it....

c11urk

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I think its a abit over hype.

It's a good game don't get me wrong but many better ones in my eyes

Jetpack Joyride for iPad.
Temple Run for iPhone.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Each to their own.
I like to see developers pushing the limits with console quality games such as modern combat 3, real racing 2 and infinity blade.

I've actually thought this as well and I'm still all up for seeing what developers can crank out...but in terms of what I actually play most of the time? Simple, quick games to pass the time on the bus or waiting in line.

I think it has to do with how iPhones and iPod touches are a different kind of portable than Nintendo DS or PSP platforms.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Just not liking Angry birds because its popular is a fairly lame reason. The fact is its a simple game that sometimes requires strategy. Most of all you can pull out your phone play it for 5min and put it away. Thats what people love most i think. All the different versions can get a little old but again being such a simple game i'm amazed they have managed to keep things fairly fresh. Space is a worthy new version for .99 its a no brainer.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Hi,

One thing that bothers me.... the popularity of Angry Birds.

Why does everyone like it when it is one of the most boring and repetitive games on the market?

It's turning into COD, they release the same game over and over again. (normal angry birds, seasons, and space). People should really know that there are much better games out there.

Rant over :D

Why does everyone care what someone likes? I don't go on rants when people listen to music I don't like, or what movies I don't like. We all have different taste in food, women, men, hairstyle, clothes style. Some people like Angry birds and others like COD. We might even have people here who don't games at all.

One of my all time favorite games on iOS is tower defense. Simple graphics, but fun to play.

FluffyPop

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
That's what I've always been wandering too. It's a nice little game, but it's neither better nor in any way more special than thousands of other smartphone games.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
OP are you being forced to buy it or something? I don't understand why the popularity bothers you. Perhaps you are jealous that "one of the most boring and repetitive games on the market" is raking in hundreds of millions of dollars for not you?

ring

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
I hate it because it is loaded down with ******** ("News", ads, promotions, and other general garbage)

**** rovio

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
So In life this is the only thing bothering you? hmm lets see hunger, cruelty to humans and animals why we are still fighting the Afghanistan War. Why gas is heading to $5 a gallon in the US. Unemployment, taxes these are the things that bother me. oh and these days I play mostly Temple Run, Nuts and Infinity Blade II.

mostwant3d

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
Fast resume

Angry birds and Smash cops both use real life movements.
However the reason I prefer Angry birds over Smash cops is the Fast resume. Whenever I want higher scores and want to replay a level, with 2 quick touches I can restart Angry birds instead of Smash cops which takes a whopping 5 seconds till it counts down to restart a level.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I honestly don't get the attraction either. It was cute for 5 - 10 minutes then the fun fades and I haven't picked it up since. (I'm more of a Plants vs Zombies person myself).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for Rovio's success and its nice to see people enjoying the game but for me it wasn't that big of a deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.