Why does Excel for Mac try to open my PDF files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PaulCleek, Nov 26, 2011.

1. PaulCleek macrumors newbie

Hello, every time I click on a PDF file for download Excel for Mac tries to open it. Is there a setting I need to update? Appreciate any help.

Regards

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Select a .PDF file in Finder
    Right-click and select "Get Info" (or press Command-i)
    Under "Open with", select Preview.app
    Click "Change All"

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I wonder why you aren't a mod yet... you should try out i have a feeling a lot of people would recommend u.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, thanks. I'm happy just answering questions, when I can. I don't have the patience to be a mod.

5. PaulCleek thread starter macrumors newbie

PDF Opening in Excel Still a Problem

Tried the routine you suggested but problem still exists. Maybe the problem is no PDF related. The PDF link I am downloading and clicking on is listed as:
    download.asp. I think this file is supposed to open online (it doesn't as Excel always jumps in to open).

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you post a link?

7. szolr macrumors 6502

^ This advice should work theoretically. PDFs should all open in Preview by default, which is part of OS X. You can see Preview in your Applications folder I suppose?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After the OP's 2nd post, it appears it's not an issue with double-clicking a file in Finder, but rather, clicking on a web link to download a file. I'm waiting for the OP to post a link, so I can test.

9. PaulCleek thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed

I used finder to locate the downloaded file. Clicked get info and added Adobe Reader to the "open with" drop down. This fixed the problem as the page then opened in Firefox. Previously I had opened another PDF and went through the same process but it did not work, evidently needed the file I was trying to open to work.

Thanks for the help & suggestions.