Why does file transfer is so slow in adium, amsn and msn messenger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hidehide, Dec 13, 2007.

1. hidehide macrumors 6502

I tried to send/receive files under my msn account in all these three applications. They are too slow, its like 1kb/s.
    I tried to open the port in my router. But it doesnt help at all.
    It helps when i open port in aMSN, but only when the file is transfer near my area.. when my friends from other countries send to me, its ridiculously slow..

However, when I try to use windows under mac os in vmfusion, the file transfer in windows live messenger is better.

Im using Leopard if that matters..
    Please give me some guide!!

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Sometimes is very very slow. Hard to tell me why though. But there are the times that Im getting >1MB/sek which is not too shabby.
    But on the other hand sometimes it takes forever to initiate than than is moving file excruciatingly slow

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm afraid the only real solution is to send files via email instead. :(

4. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

For sure its not MSN's network problem. Because I tried to use adium/aMSN. Its too slow.
    Then I switch to use WLM in vmfusion immediately. And the speed is much faster!

5. Warchest macrumors newbie

Does this to me too. I use amsn and sometimes files won't send at all. Really pisses me off

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It must be something in the program, because I can send an .mp3 file to a friend on Yahoo Messenger and it sends in under a minute, it'd probably take about 20 on MSN.

7. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

The only drawback that I doesnt like Mac OS is there is no WLM, and the other multi-IM client sux :(

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

There are two ways for an IM client to send files over MSN. One is rather reliable, but very slow (it goes through Microsoft's servers). It's intended as a fallback mechanism for the other method, which uses a direct connection. Unfortunately, most (all?) non-Microsoft clients have not yet succeeded in reverse engineering the direct method.

Personally, as an Adium developer, I'd say switch away from MSN. Note: I may be a little biased by the enormous amounts of trouble they've caused me and other IM developers. :p

9. YogY11 macrumors newbie

He is right. Check the adium trac thread here: http://trac.adium.im/wiki/FileTransfer