Why does Finder not show file sizes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArthurDaley, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

2. eatbacon macrumors regular

Go to the 'View' menu and choose 'Show view options'. Check the box for the 'size' column and the one for 'Calculate all sizes'

Although, there are better ways to search for large files. DiskInventoryX seems to be one option.

3. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

4. eatbacon macrumors regular

I guess I should have looked to see if that option was there for search windows, but you will have to forgive me. This is how I would have done it in the first place: (enter into terminal)

find / -size +5M -exec ls -lh {} \;

5. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah thanks but I am not into using CLI. I want something GUI based and it was partly the eye candy which made me switch to a Mac.

6. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's just not enabled by default. I'm not sure why that is, since it seems like a reasonable request.

Attached Files:

• size.png
      size.png
      File size:
      150.4 KB
      Views:
  8. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

We are not asking for a search attribute even though I had to enable that for the search and thought how dumb it's not a default.

My conclusion at end of day after one year of the Mac is that Finder sucks and you need to buy ForkLift+WhatSize just to get anything approaching DOPUS on the PC.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Eye candy means pretty, but less than useless. I hope you didn't switch to the Mac with that expectation.

Anyway, what you are seeking can be done in at least two ways. Begin your search in a Finder window (or by invoking Spotlight). When the search window appears, click the plus sign on the right side of the Search bar. You will now be able to enter Boolean search criteria, including file size, greater than, less than, etc. The second way is to create a Smart Folder in the Finder. The same search criteria can be specified. Using the second method, the Smart Folder can be saved somewhere on your hard drive so you can search it as often as you like for files meeting the criteria.

10. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

I know how to search with Finder. The problem was lack of a size column in the results.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

12. wombat247 macrumors newbie

Microsoft

You didn't even help him. You only told him what you know even though it's irrelevant. Let me guess- you were trained by Microsoft.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I hope you never come along asking for help. With that attitude you'd be lucky if someone gave you the time of day.