Why does Firefox crash so much?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by luiso455, Jan 2, 2009.

1. luiso455 macrumors newbie

I have had my Aluminum 2.0GHZ MacBook for about a week and it has not even failed me once. I decided to let Apple upgrade my MacBook to 4GB of ram for the extra power and speed. The computer multitasks perfectly and even runs all of the CS4 Applications at there normal speed. The only thing that had been wrong with this Mac is that Firefox seems to crash quite a bit. I am running OSX 10.5.6 and the latest version of Firefox which is 3.0.5. I browse the web like the average person and at random times Firefox will freeze and crash. I am wondering if this is a problem that other people are having or if it is just an isolated problem that I am having. If anybody know any fixes please post. Thanks.

I figured out my problem. I noticed that the crashes have been happening while I was watching Lost on the ABC.com website. I guess the Move Media Player on the Mac isn't as good as the Windows Version. Even on Safari it crashes but it only crashed once. So I still think that Firefox may be better than Safari, its just that maybe that the plug-in support may be a worse than Windows plugins support. Thanks everyone for your feedback once again.

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

firefox for mac will never be perfect

i suggest you fully quit firefox from time to time instead of just x ing it out

3. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Not having that problem, firefox works flawlessly, I was going to say a faulty stick of RAM but that wouldn't make sense if it is only firefox?

4. luiso455 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do that and restart it frequently but there are still crashes. Thank God Safari still exists.

5. justind.clark macrumors member

Have you tried reinstaling firefox or getting an older build?

6. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Firefox is for Windows an Linux, really. Safari is for Mac OS X. Sure, Mozilla made a Mac version, but it's nowhere near the quality of the Windows and Linux releases.

7. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Firefox works flawlessly for on my macbook, it's been 4 weeks i have had it and it's been running non stop with 10-15 tabs open, never crashed on me.

I don't know what could cause this issue, but Mozilla made a firefox for Mac which is called Camino, i haven't tried it though and i don't know if plugins such as adblock or flashblock exist for it

http://caminobrowser.org/

8. timothee macrumors newbie

Safari is nicer than firefox on a Mac, firefox is never default browser for me.

9. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Firefox was the first program I installed on my MacBook. It has worked flawlessly for me. I am a bit of a stickler about downloading the latest versions while they are in beta, so I am generally always running the latest and greatest.

10. priller macrumors regular

No problems here, works better & is less of a memory hog than safari.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you migrate from one version of Firefox to another it sometimes gets messed up and you need to wipe the firefox data and re-install. I've never had Firefox crash in 3 years on the Mac and it's my primary browser.

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Never had FireFox crash on me once!?
    It seems to run faster than Safari for me.. If you dont like Safari, maybe try Camino.

13. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I have had very good luck with Firefox maybe locked up a few times, I used it on windows and liked it very much, so now use it on Mac, I thinks it runs a little faster then Safari. just my 2 cents.

14. luiso455 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm Looks like I'll try to uninstall Firefox and see if that works. To me Firefox works faster and is more efficient, but that's just me, what do I know. Thanks for the replies from everyone.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I had this issue on my old Gateway and my wife did on her Dell at work and 1 day it just stopped crashing. I didn't do anything different with it, and to this day I still don't know what went wrong. I use Firefox on my Mac and I love it.

16. megacrazy macrumors newbie

Firefox is probably the best browser right now, PC or Mac. I've been using it on the mac for a while and it's faster and more ligtweight than safari.

If you're having problems with it crashing it's probably because of other things you have installed or other problems with your computer.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Not necessarily, like I said I had the problem on my old Gateway and it last for about 2 weeks and just stopped and I didn't do anything different.

18. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

My main browser is firefox, I've been using it on this mac for about 2 years now. Never any problems, and on top of that, I barely ever quit the application. I just x it out.

However, if it does fail, I go to WebKit, it's the greatest.

And for some previous statements such as the windows/linux version being better, I don't know where your getting that knowledge from, it's simply not true.

19. megacrazy macrumors newbie

Agreed. I have quite a few PCs and a Mac. I see no difference between the mac and windows versions.

Like I said before, if you are having problems with it check see what could be breaking it, because it should run flawlessly. However, this is getting harder and harder nowadays. The web is full of garbage plugins, flash adverts and poorly designed pages. One of these things is bound to crash any browser sooner or later.

20. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I hate to hijack this thread, but I'm going to do it anyway...

I've never had a problem with firefox under windows, but for certain things, it just doesn't work on the MB. For instance, I cannot play some of the videos from www.globeandmail.com even though I disable all my add-blocking add-ons. When I use Safari, this problem is non-existent.

Additionally, when I watch some embedded videos online (various sites), at the conclusion of the video an error message pops up. After I click 'ignore' (or something to that effect) the video restarts. These aren't massive problems, but they're very annoying.

I really want to stay with firefox, so does anyone have any suggestions/explanations? Thanks!

21. megacrazy macrumors newbie

Interesting...Do you have a link for a video that doesn't work?

EIther way, that's probably a flash related problem. I looked at a couple of videos on that site but no errors so far.