Why does Firefox maximize the screen unlike anything else on mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andyACEcandy, Sep 16, 2009.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

You know how the green plus sign normally makes the screen bigger but not the full screen... well in firefox, it actually maximizes full screen.

Is this right? Or did I somehow screw something up haha

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to make the window "as big as required to be useful and not more", but since webpages often stretch, it's difficult to determine what the most useful width for a browser is.

Besides - even Apple's own native apps don't follow this consistently, so it's not unusual to see 3rd party apps that don't act as expected. It's not true this is unlike anything else on OS X, since many third party apps actually maximise as well.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The + button behaves differently in every application. It's one of Apple's great UI failures in my opinion. And yes, it will resize your Firefox window to fill the screen. Safari only resizes to fit the page width and height.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, pros and cons, thats probably why mozilla hasn't implement it, as large as website ask? what if you zoomed the page? what if the page is too large, and fit window will extend the window out of the screen? also when trying that on safari, did you noticed the position of the window moved around all over the place?

at least now people know exactly where the close/min/max button will be on screen.

pros and cons, again, but with firefox moving towards very nice remembering zooming level (per site) feature, I see more cons than pros with implementing that zoom button.